1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Business or Entrepreneurial questions? BizWarriors is completely FREE - paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! You can now use your Facebook or Twitter account to regsiter or login. If you're new to the BizWarriors Forum, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Writing Online Content People Will Actually Want To Read

Discussion in 'Content Marketing' started by Adrianna Nine, Dec 8, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Adrianna Nine

Adrianna Nine MVP Member

Before you write that blog post, think about how much online content already covers your topic of choice. What will you do to set that post apart from the rest? Why should people read your post when they already have hundreds of other options?

This Mashable article (if you choose to call it one) covers a few good tips for writing a blog post that people will actually want to read. The catch? I had to select this very article from tons of others just like it. ;)

Before you read, a bonus tip from yours truly: Establish authority. If you have a degree in the topic you're discussing, or 10 years professional experience, or even just a wild, personal story to go along with your biggest lesson -- say so. People want to know that they can trust what you have to say.

(Full article can be found on Mashable.)

Gin, David_Wu, grNadpa and 1 other person like this.
  2. grNadpa

grNadpa Member

Thank you, @Adrianna Nine , for sharing this article. As you know, having kindly responded to my BizWarrior's post about pitching my wife's book to a magazine's editor, I struggle with the fear of appearing as the South End of a North Going Horse.

Let my kindred spirits that read Emberton and your comments take them as tools to improve their blogging rather than reasons to abandon the effort.

azgold and djbaxter like this.
  3. Adrianna Nine

Adrianna Nine MVP Member

@grNadpa yes! So many people abandon blogging because the work is too ambiguous. I feel that having a few guidelines really helps you stay consistent with your work.

pedrocampos and azgold like this.
  4. Just make sure the topic you are writing about is actually something you can give knowledge on.

5. Valerie Hart

Valerie Hart MVP

@Adrianna Nine this is great for me! As many know, I'm starting my own editing business, but I was trying to figure out if I should have a "tips and tricks" section on my website. I keep thinking to myself, "What advice can I give that Google can't already answer?" Would you suggest I do so anyway? Or do you think it would hinder my site to give small pieces of free advice I would usually be asking them to pay me for?

djbaxter likes this.
  6. djbaxter

djbaxter Administrator Moderator Member

Having the advice come from a professional editor, even if it only confirms something on Google, is worth it. Google doesn't sift accuracy of information really - just popularity.

Absolutely not. It will be proof of your competence and in any business giving a little something away for free encourages people to come back to your site.

Valerie Hart likes this.
  7. alvin

alvin Member

Thank you @Adrianna, for your share. It's very useful for me!

8. pedrocampos

pedrocampos Member

Blogging is a long term investment, it`s about building relationships, just like a youtube channel and this is where most people get it wrong.

djbaxter likes this.
  9. Charu Member

Nice. Thanks for sharing this knowledge with us . I believe that content writing is something that can grab the attention of the people.

10. Gin

Gin Member

I keep hearing, money is in the email list! I'd suggest using a newsletter to promote any affiliate links and your 'advice, tips and tricks' column. I still have to do that on a blog of mine too.

11. DakotaJ19 Member

This is a great article. You have to move away from just writing for content and writing quality pieces that people actually want to read.

djbaxter likes this.