1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Business or Entrepreneurial questions? BizWarriors is completely FREE - paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! You can now use your Facebook or Twitter account to regsiter or login. If you're new to the BizWarriors Forum, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Writing a book?

Discussion in 'Planning Your Business' started by Travelingsarah, Nov 29, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Travelingsarah

Travelingsarah Member

I have read the book, "Unstoppable Referrals," by Steve gordon, and I have about eighteen pages of a book. I don't think it's finished by any means, but I'm not sure what to add.

My book is about my strong belief that families need to make time to be together. Everyone is so busy these day with so many different things. Making time for our families goes a long way in keeping us together..

I would love people to kind of help me brainstorm this

2. azgold

azgold Moderator MVP Member

Do you have any case studies, stats or professional opinions that you can use to strengthen your argument? Those could add a fair bit of meat to your book.

Maybe a family that will let you tell the story (perhaps with names changed) of how they cut out <something> in order to make more family time. You know....John, Mary and their three children gave up three hours of television weekly. Now they use that time for family outings and board games. "The kids are much calmer since we started having more time together. There's lots more cuddle time and interaction. Blah, blah, blah, whatever," said Mary.

A psychology study, maybe?

Illustrate how a great way for a family to come together without the usual distractions is to go on vacation. Tell about how travel enriches family life.

You get the idea. :) I don't know your business, I'm sure you'll come up with the perfect answer.

Good luck with your book!

JohnHolling and Adam Toren like this.
  3. Adrianna Nine

Adrianna Nine MVP Member

Hi Sarah!

Have you been an entrepreneur/business manager for very long? When publishing nonfiction, you almost always need to come from a position of authority on the topic. People don't want to read a book on time management or psychology or history if it's written by someone who hasn't devoted much of their life to time management or psychology or history. Usually those books are written by researchers/professors, experienced CEO's, celebrities... people others already look up to.

You'll certainly need to provide examples of when a certain strategy worked or failed, but even moreso you'll need to provide facts to back them up. Otherwise the whole book will read like a blog post.

Adam Toren likes this.
  4. Travelingsarah

Travelingsarah Member

I am going to have to think through doing a study and what would work best for me. Thanks

5. Travelingsarah

Travelingsarah Member

I've been doing this about four years. And I am kind of embarrassed at how few clients I've had so far. Trying to think of creative ways to build my list.

6. djbaxter

djbaxter Administrator Moderator Member

You might be better off writing a blog or a series of blog posts on the topic, and then promoting it to Twitter, Facebook, etc.

Writing a whole book is not for the fainthearted. :eek:

grNadpa, JohnHolling and azgold like this.
  7. Travelingsarah

Travelingsarah Member

rxI have a blog. Post to that blog nearly every day.. Don't feel like I'm doing well with that blog. Would love some tips on how to be successful with a blog.

8. djbaxter

First, you'll likely do better with a self-hosted blog than one hosted by WordPress. It's harder to get good search engine exposure from a URL that ends in wordpress.com or blogger.com - too much competition for the same domain.

Second, you need to cross-reference your blog posts to a business Facebook page, your personal Facebook page, and Twitter. To do that, you'll need to add the necessary share buttons for your readers, and follow or subscribe buttons to encourage people who read one post to come back for more.

Your logo also references a non-existent domain.

JohnHolling and azgold like this.
  9. azgold

Since her site is travel related, I would also add Pinterest and Instagram. Should be tons of great photos of exotic locales, people love those.

djbaxter likes this.
  10. djbaxter

Good point. I have little reason to use those sites so I often forget they exist.

11. azgold

No selfie accounts, eh? :D

12. JohnHolling

JohnHolling Serial entrepreneur, Investor, Mentor Administrator Moderator Member

I totally agree with AZGold that having plenty of stats and a study to back up your premise is a great idea. You don't have to do the study yourself though. There must be tons of studies like this already done. You can talk about those and reference them in the book. A university study, for example, would lend a lot of credibility to your topic. Go find some studies and stats that are already done so you're not reinventing the wheel. :)

Cheers!
    John

djbaxter likes this.
  13. JohnHolling

JohnHolling Serial entrepreneur, Investor, Mentor Administrator Moderator Member

Sarah, don't be embarrassed. You're sticking with it, and you're asking questions here. That's a lot more than many people can say. Incremental improvements make a huge difference over time. Keep asking questions and getting advice on promoting yourself, and you'll get there. Chin up!

djbaxter likes this.
  14. Adrianna Nine

Adrianna Nine MVP Member

I second djbaxter. If you believe you've had less clients than you should at this point (which is nothing to be embarrassed about!), perhaps it would be best to start with a blog and work from there. That way you build a readership that will be eager to buy your book once it comes out!

djbaxter likes this.
  15. djbaxter

That's pretty much how Therese Borchard did it and she now has two books plus several paid writing gigs for various blogs and websites.