Wordpress Pushes Upgrade To Php 7. Will You Be Ready?

djbaxter

Administrator
WordPress announced this year that they will be moving to PHP 7 as the minimum PHP version for new versions of WordPress (WordPress to Bump Recommended PHP Version From 5.6 to 7.0 By The Middle of 2017 – WordPress Tavern).

Now this probably won't immediately break your site if you're host doesn't upgrade so you still have a few months to make the transition. However, if you run a WordPress site, it might be worth contacting your host about their plans for upgrading and what problems an upgrade might create for other sites running on your server. For example, the software running this forum, XenForo, might break - not saying it will because I haven't looked into that yet - but I know that a couple of my own sites are running on vBulletin 4.x and that is not yet certified beyond PHP 5.x.

As a starting point, you can check your current WordPress themes and plugins for PHP 7 compatibility ahead of time.

Here is a free checker plugin you can install on your site to see what is and is not currently compatible: PHP 7 Compatibility Checker: Prep Your Site For PHP 7 | WP Engine Blog.

Check for WordPress Theme and Plugins Compatibility with PHP 7 from The Winhelponline Blog has some information and commentary on the issues.

Oh, and by the way, your host is probably running some version of PHP 5.x at the moment. Don't be concerned that this makes you way behind. PHP 6 was skipped so PHP 7 is the next release after PHP 5.6.

djbaxter

Administrator
There are always ongoing updates to the WordPress platform and to plugins and most themes. In recent versions of WordPress, this can be done automatically.

But the PHP recommended minimum does not apply yet, only to future forthcoming versions of WordPress.

Latest posts