Windows 10 to automatically uninstall problematic monthly updates

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:1)

djbaxter

Administrator
Windows 10 to automatically uninstall faulty monthly updates
by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld
March 15, 2019

The next iteration of Windows 10 will self-diagnose start-up failures and if necessary uninstall recent updates to get the PC up and running, Microsoft quietly announced in a support document earlier this week.

"If Windows detects that your machine cannot start up successfully, it will try to diagnose and resolve failures due to disk issues, system file corruption, invalid registry keys, or other such causes," the document said. "If all these steps are unsuccessful and your machine is still unable to start up properly, Windows will determine if the startup issue was introduced after recent driver or quality updates were installed. If so, these updates may be uninstalled automatically to get the device back to a workable state.
Read more...

ideasunlimited1

Top Poster Of Month
Thank goodness. An update in the last few months gave me issues and I had to essentially clear out the whole computer to resolve it, so this is great news.

djbaxter

Administrator
The biggest problem I've had with Windows 10 has been the feature updates.

My laptop has no issues with them at all.

My desktop always fails the feature updates but that is easily fixed by using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. This will download the latest Windows updates and create a bootable USB stick (or image file which you need to burn to a DVD). Run setup from the created media and it will ask you a few questions and then proceed. This has always worked for me.

More information at Microsoft Windows 10 Installation / Media Creation Tool Download - TechSpot.