djbaxter

Administrator
If you can only choose one, choose SEO for long term advantages and PPC for faster results.

But using both in tandem would be recommended for a new business.

Edvin

MVP
Thank you for sharing Jessica, this is a great posting.
I want to summarize the reading and reflect on my experience.

First, I want to say that I have engaged in PPC campaign and lead/employed SEO strategies that resulted in 1st page (and even first link) ranking for for premium keywords on Google; competing against top industry players.
It was very revealing that even though we got top organic search, PPC campaign was still responsible for generating large volume of traffic by several hundred folds.
Therefore, I've always been in the opinion that SEO is nice to have;
however, this article is shifting that mind-set and reinforces that first page search engine ranking is not enough.

The article reminds me about the blog traffic generator, which highlights that you need a traffic strategy to complement your content.
The blog posting is calling out content amplification, which suggests the use of their product CanIRank to find relevant communities, DropMyLink to ease posting your footprint to the communities, and BuzzSumo to find relevant important content, which can work nicely with google trends. All these put together, can start to generate organic traffic from multiple sources.
In my opinion, Search Engine Optimization (SEO) does a horrible job of explaining this process. Search Engine Management (SEM), though it includes paid campaign, it suggests that there is a larger strategic and tactical marketing endeavor to achieving high traffic.

This is a great reminder that we need to market/advertise everything, even the content that we write.

Thank you for the article. I'll have to keep it in mind when I write my website copy/blog.

Last edited:

VWalker04

Great write up. I'm trying to figure out how to go about this on my own right now after recently launching my website.

I recommend implementing full blown PPC once you know that your website is working - i.e. visitors are converting into paid clients. You can implement a cut down version of PPC in the initial stages to test and adjust your site until it gets the results you want.

I agree with @djbaxter, organic SEO is a long term approach. Support your site with blog posts, back links, affiliates, JV's etc.

Edvin

MVP
Though I agree with @The Web Warriors for getting your ducks in a row, I want to share an experience that contradicts
...implementing full blown PPC once you know that your website is working...

I recall a colleague introducing me to online affiliate marketing and the money that he was able to generate. As he was sharing the quick/dirty model of his page in Firefox browser, we noticed that his page was broken in Internet Explorer, which accounted for more than 80% of the market share.
At times, quick & dirty is preferred; but, I am a victim of former where I feel I have to to get everything done before I start.

djbaxter

Administrator
I have to agree with you, @Edvin. They call it "quick and dirty" for a reason.

You don't need to pay a small fortune for a website which will not only do the job for you but do it right. If you have to wait for the budget to do that, it might well be worth it to postpone.

One of the most critical and manual strategies of optimizing a a successful eCommerce internet site is ensuring it’s optimized for engines like google. With these days’s Search Engine Optimization requirements, it’s now important than ever to ensure your internet site is constantly up to date with relevant content, promotes an user experience and is optimized to be as error-free as possible
Drushti Technet LLP

Top Bottom