1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Business or Entrepreneurial questions? BizWarriors is completely FREE - paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! You can now use your Facebook or Twitter account to regsiter or login. If you're new to the BizWarriors Forum, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Where to List Your Brand-New Business

Discussion in 'Online Marketing and Advertising' started by djbaxter, Aug 11, 2017.

Share This Page

1. djbaxter

djbaxter Administrator Moderator Member

9 Online Sites to List Your Brand-New Business
    AllBusiness.com
    August 11, 2017

1. Google My Business
    2. Bing
    3. Facebook
    4. LinkedIn
    5. TripAdvisor
    6. Yelp
    7. Manta Small Business Directory
    8. Dun & Bradstreet (D&B)
    9. MapQuest

Read more...

2. Yelp! I can't believe I didn't think of yelp!!! Thank you so much for posting this!!! I have been hitting a wall with marketing and needed a nice refresher. Thanks!!!

djbaxter likes this.
  3. pedrocampos

pedrocampos Member

Think of doing some paid advertisement, not spending too much, but getting enough to make noise in your niche.

djbaxter likes this.
  4. azgold

azgold Moderator MVP Member

I think it would be easy to waste a lot of time if you don't target your efforts well. Some people just plaster their business on every site available but it would be far more efficient to pay attention to where a business' target audience hang outs and concentrate on those platforms.

I have seen people throw their marketing efforts solely on FB but what they're promoting just doesn't fit well there, especially with the groups they belong to. Just an example. A big platform doesn't automatically mean big results. It would serve a business well to do their due diligence and audience profiling. Is it better to promote on local listings, i.e. Yelp and such? Or is global more appropriate? I think that's a good research starting point.

That was my long-winded way of saying the same thing the article author did :) :

"Just make sure you focus on those most relevant to your business. It’s easy to waste time and money on efforts that don’t produce results."

Exactly!

All that said, I love the list. I think it's easy for a small business to overlook sites like MapQuest, D&B, etc. Those don't immediately come to mind when sitting down to plan a marketing strategy.

djbaxter likes this.
  5. DiegoArango

DiegoArango Member

What about listing your business on online directories? Or even promoting it on forums? Is that technique good? Or would you be wasting your time...

6. djbaxter

It depends on the type of business you run.

Most directories are of little value now. So many popped up in their hey day that Google clamped down on them, especially the paid directories, and devalued any links from them. Local small businesses may benefit from certain directory listings but you need to be careful which ones.

See Merchant Circle No Longer Offering Free Listings and https://whitespark.ca/top-local-citation-sources-by-country/

Getting listed on Google My Business is something you should do though, especially if you are a local small business with an actual brick-and-mortar presence.

Be very careful with that. Most forums will ban you for blatantly promoting your business. And getting banned on one forum will frequently get you listed in various anti-spammer databases so it can cost you dearly.

You can certainly use your forum posts to enhance your reputation by adding a forum signature with a link to your website. But that will only help if you contribute informative and helpful posts to that forum community. Otherwise, it's more likely to affect your reputation negatively.

Also note that, in most quality forums, links in forum signatures and in forum posts are "no follow", which means that Google and Bing will not count them in ranking your site.

See also this part of our Forum Rules:

azgold and DiegoArango like this.
  7. DiegoArango

DiegoArango Member

So what about linkbuilding nowadays? Is it worth? Any suggestions for this?

8. djbaxter

Yes it's still worth it if you
    • pick the right websites, i.e., sites related to your business or industry that are of high quality
    • don't engage in blatant reciprocal linking
    • don't pay for links: sooner or later you will get a manual penalty for that
    • don't link to or request links from dubious websites or sites that have nothing to do with your industry
    Links from active Facebook pages and other social media sites will help.

Customer reviews, especially those on Google, Yelp, etc., will help a lot, but don't post fake reviews or buy reviews: again, that will get you penalized.

Long term, your best bet is to write solid informative and useful content that other people will link to without needing to be asked, and will promote on social media and on their own websites.

azgold and DiegoArango like this.
  9. DiegoArango

DiegoArango Member

Thanks you sir for that useful information. I'll implement something and let you know. Actually I'll start a thread to register the progress. ;)

azgold and djbaxter like this.
  10. djbaxter

Excellent idea! :)