Where is your target audience? Find out and go there.

djbaxter

Administrator
One of my early lessons as a parent was that building a solid relationship with your child doesn't mean getting him/her to like the things you like so you can share them. It means finding out what your child is interested in and getting down on the floor with him/her and learning what it's all about. One of the things my children all liked was one sort of video game or another. I got them to teach me how to play and then I played those games with them. I sucked. But that was actually a benefit. They were teaching me about their world and the fact that I tried was important; the fact that they could usually beat me hands down was a hilarious bonus for them.

How does this relate to marketing generally and content marketing specifically? You need to acquire an audience for your content with the goal of converting them to customers or clients. Where do you find that audience? Go where your target audience already is.

Reach and Influence: Your First Marketing Priority
By Eric Enge, Moz.com
December 14, 2016

Your target customer spends a lot of time in various places across the Internet. Consider engaging with them where they are.

The reason for doing this is to accelerate the growth of your audience and their engagement with your content. I often refer to this as getting in front of OPA ("Other People's Audiences"). It's one of the most powerful ways to increase your own audience and loyalty. It also creates opportunities to build your own direct audience....
  1. Establish columns on high-authority media sites
  2. Share valuable info via your social media presences
  3. Interact with influencers online
  4. Participate in online and offline events (webinars, conferences)
Now as Eric Enge points out, this doesn't mean joining forums or social media groups and posting commercial messages for your business everywhere you go. That's called spamming. And that just annoys your intended audience.

Remember, you're there to add value, and adding value doesn't mean showing people all the great things they can do with your products. Create useful, non-commercial, content, or address questions without your products or services being the explicit answer.
Read more...

Now think about your business. Your products or services.

Where would your target audience hang out?

Are you already there?

If not, how could you get there and how could you begin promoting yourself by offering solutions instead of advertising your business?

I love this. I don't think enough businesses/business owners realize that they should feel privileged to have the customers they have, and that if their customers' interests/needs change, their products/services need to change with them.

chesterlaw

Love the analogy and well-written story you have at the start there. Guess you've had a lot of practice to get to that level!

GlobaSource

Thanks a lot for sharing this blog. Really nice and fresh content. All the information is helpful for us.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe

Latest posts