When is the best time to think about SEO when starting a new business?

Bruce Jones

When do you think SEO should fit into your schedule?

Here are some different points in a business startup timeline to consider.

1. When thinking about starting a new business.
2. While thinking about a name for your startup.
3. When buying a new domain name.
4. Before starting your new website.
5. While selecting images for your new website.
6. When you are writing copy for your website pages.
7. After your website officially gets launched.
8. While creating your social media profiles.
9. When you are creating a press release announcing your new business.
10. When you realize website visitors and sales are not coming in as fast as you expected them to.

It has been my experience that in the real world most people pick #10, sometimes #7. ( that is when they usually call me at least :))

Entrepreneurs would have been so much further ahead if they had SEO in mind at spot #1, as soon as they had a new business idea!

JShivell33

IMHO, #1 is way too early to be thinking about SEO , and anyone who recommends #2 or #3 is probably one of those people/companies that uses techniques to trick the search engines into doing what they want, which doesn't work long term.

I would definitely have SEO in mind during #4, #5 and #6, but #7 is way too late to start thinking about SEO, as is #10. You should, however, keep SEO in mind when making changes to your website, which, of course, won't happen until after your website has been published, and checking your SEO is not a bad idea if and when #10 occurs. There are good opinions on both sides for #8 and #9, but for both of these SEO should not be a primary consideration.

Ironcore

Based on my own experience the right moment to start thinking about SEO is when you reach point number #3 and beyond.

buyqualityplr

Honestly, if you're looking to drive traffic for your business with SEO, it's needs to be a part of your strategy from the start, before building your website. There's lots of planning and considerations that goes into it. SEO should be taken into consideration with all the points on your list. If you're an existing business that has never done any SEO, there's no better time to start then right now because proper SEO takes time before you see results.

Bruce Jones

SEO research can even help with the viability of a new business or finding a domain name with a great keyword in it to use.

buyqualityplr

According to John Mueller, domain names with keywords in them lost influence years ago. So, thinking about SEO when thinking about a name for your business and/or when buying a domain name is a waste of time.
While domain names hold less value, they definately still hold influence and help rankings. That's why you still see affiliates registering exact match domains and ranking at the top. So anyone making a statement like that is listening to what Google says and not testing things themselves. Don't believe everything Google says. :)

VirtualGlobalPhone

I believe before #1. In a simply put company need to know before where the product and service need to be targeted. It's like drawing a Circle around and slowly expanding. In that way, the company will manage and plan sales.

Most of the SEO today is like simply throwing a stone towards this huge tree with lots of mangoes. They don't realize if not planned that stone will hit straight on themselves.