I recently fulfilled my dream of opening a restaurant. Our social media is booming, people are leaving happy and raving about the food. We’ve had nothing but 5 star reviews on Yelp. Local publications have raved about us. Everyone loves the concept and are excited about it being unique to the city.

However, despite all the people who’ve came to us, there’s way too many more who are afraid to come to us. We are in the West End of Downtown in a great developing area. The future looks great for our location but the current not so much. We have a strong police presence in our area. However, we are in front of a busy bus station with illegal criminal activity happening constantly in front of the business. Drug deals, prostitution, gambling, drug usage and just troubled youth happens all in front of our restaurant. All of this happens during the day and gets even scarier at night.

We thought we would be able to combat it all. We thought a strong police presence and just creating a high volume of business will push the activity elsewhere. That hasn’t been the case. These people often congregate right in front of the restaurant. They are dancing and twerking up on our windows even.
I am at a lost and as Veteran with a dream, this has become a nightmare I don’t deserve.

Please help. We’ve only been open just over three weeks. Should we wait it out and give it more time or do we make the move now?

I am tapped out on funds. I’ve put a lot into this and want to know what resources can I go to for help with funding for a move if you all believe this needs to happen. I believe it does.

djbaxter

Administrator
Wow. That's awful, although I can understand the reluctance of customers to go into that area in an evening.

I really don't know what to advise you. How much money are you looking at to move? Are there any organizations in your city that might be helpful? Crowdfunding, depending on the amount required?

Wow. That's awful, although I can understand the reluctance of customers to go into that area in an evening.

I really don't know what to advise you. How much money are you looking at to move? Are there any organizations in your city that might be helpful? Crowdfunding, depending on the amount required?

Hi Dj!

I am meeting with my mentors this week. I have also scouted several locations and getting contractor quotes this week as well. I’m not sure how much money it will take but finding it will be the biggest hurdle. I am working the crowdfunding end with my friend who is a videographer. Hopefully, we are able to tug on some heart strings and get some funds.

If I do make a move, I know it’ll be seen as an embarrassing mistake. If I stay put and play it out, we just run the big risk of losing more money staying open as well as something bad happening. As mentioned, I am at a lost.

djbaxter

Administrator
I would ask this: What real assurances do you have that anything is going to change in that location anytime soon? or anytime before you run out of money and fold? The promise of a neighborhood reclamation 20 years from now isn't going to do you any good.

Most urban centers have areas like this. In my area, there are a couple of notorious high crime areas where business continue to start up and go out of business repeatedly in the same disastrous locations. Periodically the police do try to increase the police presence in those areas but they always run into the same problem: high crime areas attract more criminals, no matter what anyone does - arrest and incarcerate 10 and another 10 replace them.

Question though: What made you choose this area to begin with when you first opened?

VirtualGlobalPhone

SergeantTOPChef ,
This usually happens in a business. You go to address one problem and you get many unwanted along FREE. I guess those are the challenges and demands business put forth to push you into another level of beingness. Is it not? Just a thought ...

There is a belives that by accepting the situation happening right now will release the power within so much that you will win over the toughest problem.

best wishes, keep us posted.

SkyWriting

Contact your local veteran groups. Provide veteran meetings inside your restaurant. Contact your police groups. Provide them free snacks for the meetings. This will "land you" volunteer traffic at your place, depending on how helpful and charming you are. With off-duty cops or vets with free time hanging out at your place the riff-raff will move on. Buy your own riff-raff with goodwill to the community. Check local church groups and ask them to hang out. Offer your catering services to the church as reasonable rates. Maybe it'll have long term impact.

SkyWriting

Problems are the foundation of your future successes.
Embrace them and use them to create your life as you move forward.

If you recall, all our past successes were built on "problems" so expect
them as your stepping stones to up-coming wins.

SkyWriting

All sources say you can expect to loose money for five years with a new business. If you are at five weeks then you are under capitalized.

Are you contacting all your customers often? Daily is best. Are you getting their contact information?

Have you considered catering? Catering to vets or cops? Catering to local businesses?

How many referral programs do you have going?

An Epic List of 79 Referral Program Examples

SkyWriting

If you gather contact information from each customer, you can keep the relationship going. Mail all your customers as much as daily with business updates, offers, and special events.

Top Bottom