Julia Sta Romana

Top Contributor
Top Poster Of Month
The pandemic introduced me to a LOT of video conferencing tools. I'm going to list the ones I have used.

1. Skype - barely using it now. No significant feature and security improvements. Kinda feels like they gave up.
  2. Zoom - So easy to use. So easy to hack.
  3. MS Teams - Kinda bulky but the call quality is better than most
  4. Google Meet - Great teleconferencing tool for beginners
  5. Facebook Rooms - I have seen it but I am still too nervous to try it
  6. Viber - not really built for it but good enough in a pinch

What video conferencing tools have you tried? What would you guys recommend?

MS Teams ; they are able to push from top down. Most of the education systems are using this widely ...

Demand for high quality Bandwidth is a challenge. Suddenly seems even 100 mbps shared line is not sufficient.

Zoom is seeing the backlash being termed as Chinese. But they are also pretty good. The rest is ok for small projects.

I have used Google Meet and I do not like it at all. I feel like it was poorly made from the beginning.

I like Skype and have used for years for my business as an Affiliate Network owner to communicate with pubs around the world but that is about it. Does not have all the features needed for somethings such as able to share your screen and have the other person take control for signing documents, etc.

I like Zoom the best and I use it a lot for my business outside of my Affiliate Network as a licensed rep in Life Insurance and also offer other Financial Services as well and they have to be able to take control of screen to sign documents which they can do. However, the problem I have seen is when there are a lot of people in a room on Zoom then you have hackers or whatever that you have to kick out. This can happen to any software and they are trying to fix the issue by requiring a password now, etc.

djbaxter

Administrator
Great topic, Julia Sta Romana! :)

I don't use any of them often but if I did it would be either the "new improved" Skype - they have actually made several improvements in the past couple of years including conferencing capabilities for up to I think 30 or 50 people - or Microsoft Teams. Security for both of these is good.

I don't like Google Meet at all.

Zoom is easy to use but for people using the free version they are still not using strong encryption which leaves users vulnerable even with a password, and their general reaction to all their securities is "meh". I don't trust that other security issues will emerge in the future and I advise people to avoid it like people without masks in a grocery store.

Like Julia, I don't trust Facebook Rooms yet. Seems to me they rushed that out fast and their general record on security has not been great.

I've never heard of Viber. Isn't that some sport of deadly snake? :D

Julia Sta Romana

Top Contributor
Top Poster Of Month
Great topic, Julia Sta Romana! :)

I've never heard of Viber. Isn't that some sport of deadly snake? :D

😆 😆 😆
Viber is a popular instant messaging app here in Asia. It has strong encryption and has really good community features. The community blast feature is what some people use to do video conferencing.

Yeah, Skype has made some improvements but I feel like they came too late. I would have preferred to use Skype over Zoom. But when we use Skype for a mixed crowd of mobile and desktop users, the mobile users seem to often have difficulty connecting (or maintaining connection) to a meeting. It could be their device though. And it seems harder for users to use Skype invite links compared to Zoom or Google Meet.

But Skype is really good if you want to stream meetings. Easier to integrate with OBS than anything else.

And I just discovered a new one today! DingTalk. Apparently, this is used mainly in China. Not tried it yet. Not quite sure if I want to.

Azam.net

Zoom is the bee's knees. Reliable, user-friendly and free to use.

However, am getting fed-up of every meeting being virtual. Even though the Coronavirus lockdown ended here in the UK months ago, everyone seems to have got too comfortable doing things virtually and there's hardly any 'real world' business meetings etc.

Really? I love virtual meetings. No transportation time needed, traffic, etc.

Zoom is the bee's knees. Reliable, user-friendly and free to use.

However, am getting fed-up of every meeting being virtual. Even though the Coronavirus lockdown ended here in the UK months ago, everyone seems to have got too comfortable doing things virtually and there's hardly any 'real world' business meetings etc.

Top Bottom