What is the hardest part of starting a business?

theceo

The most difficult thing to be an entrepreneur, especially in digital, is to learn to disconnect and find a balance.

VirtualGlobalPhone

Top Poster Of Month
If entrepreneur is difficult close the shop and join a job.

Being entrepreneur is freedom of doing that matter. And the word difficult shouldn't even exist.

PatrickM

Driving the business to make a profit and have a positive cash flow in as short a time as possible. For the renowned investor Mark Cuban this should be within 60 days for profit and 90 days for cash flow!

Somehow people believe that driving revenue is the solution for success ... it may be for a Uber or Amazon but for SMB's it's focussing on profit and cash.

With this focus, you soon know whether you have a business!

Having the patience to garner clientele can be really difficult, especially when you really believe in what you are selling and know your worth. It can be easy to get desperate and take anyone on even if you have concerns, but don't buy into that. I have a hard time listening to that patience and relying on strategic thinking.

Have you heard about crossing the chasm? If we translate it into a graph, imagine the situation of a new business or let's just say a startup, their market is on the early stage, to reach the mainstream market they need to cross the chasm. Those are the challenges that you need to conquer to make your business successful. I advise that you read about crossing the chasm or if you can the book "Crossing the Chasm" by Geoffrey Moore that is better.

elle_laine086

I think the hardest part on starting a business is getting your business to be consistent on what it does do.. Getting more customers everyday is really hard especially if it doesn't cater everybody's interest.

TextMarketing

I have been having issues figuring out how to drive traffic. I would like to get a website going so I am going to check into some more stuff. How would you marketing a Text Message Marketing Platform?

Overzat

The hardest part of starting a business on my part is consistency. No sooner have I started a venture than another idea crops up. I am a false starter. I have initiated many ventures in the past only to abandon them midway and later witness others excelling in these areas. I have come to realize that perseverance and persistence pays.
I agree. Going from working for an employer to starting your next big idea takes consistency. Now jumping from one idea to the next thinking, "oh, the grass is greener on the other Side.

CindyPage

For me, starting a business needs a lot of research, like a LOT. Learning and taking a hold of it would certainly take time and effort. But the good thing is, there are shortcuts available, take franchising for example.

In franchising, the business is already there and all you have to do is to be part of it. Plus, support group and business training is always available for you. Of course, it is essential to choose your passion. For women like me, beauty salon franchise like Lash Pilot is the best! For sure, all women will agree to this. :)

DarkFrog

In my experience the hardest parts of starting a business are:

Managing Cashflow
Systematizing the business
Hiring the right employees
Not investing in marketing
Yes, systematizing the business. But to think of it so far, ALL of it has been surprisingly difficult. As the business grows, I should be able to hire out certain positions to perform the tasks I need, but as of now, I'm one guy with an assistant. I have to do ALL the jobs of the business myself. I'm the compliance officer, the marketing expert, the logistics expert, the product expert, the lead strategist, the bookkeeper, etc. etc. etc. To me, having to start out doing all of these positions at once is the killer, until you can hire out tasks you are not as good at or don't know as much about when things get going.

PatrickM

Yes, systematizing the business. But to think of it so far, ALL of it has been surprisingly difficult. As the business grows, I should be able to hire out certain positions to perform the tasks I need
The one advantage today is the opportunity to have part-time employees to do specific tasks or projects. Although it certainly requires a different skillset - focusing on defined outcomes rather than the traditional input-based, generalised staffing model.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe