What is a small business idea that is fun, yet profitable at the same time?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:12)

Say someone was willing to give you $100,000 to start up a small business, but it must fit two criteria:
  1. It must turn profit.
  2. It must be a fun business idea.

What ideas do you have?

djbaxter

Administrator
Interesting question. "Fun" and "must turn a profit" don't always go together, and of course the definition of fun will be different for almost everyone.

I need to think about this one. Even 10 years ago, the answer would probably have been different for me but technology changes a lot of things.

The definition of "fun" is different for everyone. What is considered fun for one individual may be completely boring for the other and vice versa. If say that someone offers you $100,000 to create a fun business idea, then you would have to know what "fun" means to them and how this would affect all the other entities in the business. My definition of fun would be to open up a park for outdoor activities like a giant sandbox. Everybody loves to have fun while keeping fit at the same time and this would also be great for team building activities.

VirtualGlobalPhone

MVP
tbrownstein , Probably these sectors 1. Personality development ; 2. Organic food products ; 3. Fitness ; 4. Sports are some of the quick vertices you can spend and earn. But make sure you craft and define the fun.

djbaxter

Administrator
I had a small fun business when I was a kid. I used to sell chocolates to my classmates. It would have been profitable if I could stop myself from eating the inventory.
Ha ha! My mother worked in a Cadbury chocolate factory as a young girl/woman in England. The employees were told they could eat as many chocolates as they wanted. She said she went nuts on that offer for the first little while but most soon got sick of them. I always though that was an excellent strategy for new employees. They must have known that some would want to eat the product so instead of policing them they said go ahead.

Fortunately, it was only a temporary thing for my mother. She still loved chocolate in her later years. :)

An online business right from home, My mom used to make embroidered handkerchiefs that had unique designs & all homemakers loved them so much that they kept referring & talking about it to their friend. She used to have fun making them & selling them, though it wasn't easy.

You should build something unique & sell them, the main thing is money shouldn't be the driving factor. Otherwise, there wouldn't be any great companies like Apple, Amazon, ...

Like selling chocolates, I would go with selling ice creams because I just simply love it. Not a simple ice cream, the real italian gelato is what i would really go for. When you see kids eating gelato after the school in Italy, you really feel happy because they enjoy it so much. For me fun equals to happiness :)

All ideas are good to go. First do some research before planning to sell in market and second get funding in place. When I started my business, planning was good. I did some research regarding my product but the difficult part was how or where to get funding for my startup. I would suggest to any of you to look for Merchant Advisors, Funding Circle, and Fundera; these are some helpful companies I would prefer for loan.

I think the best option for you is online selling using instagram. You always can have fun there and make it profitable for yourself

my opinion is to open a cafe where people can play table tennis, chess, mafia, cards. Eat, smoke hookah. If you do everything right and open in a good location that I think will make a profit.

Everyone has their idea of fun. Some off of the top of my head would be:

• Create & sell a makeup line
  • Selling emoji inspired items (e.g., emoji balls, emoji shirts, emoji iphone cases, emoji shoes, etc)
  • Heels dance classes - from beginner to intermediate
The cool thing is, from these three, the investment would be less than 5% of the 100K offered.
Hell, the heels class alone would be an investment of $100.
$50 for a pair of heels and $50 to rent the space - if I even have to rent the space.

And for all of them, I'm having fun and making a profit.

You cannot define the 'fun' factor in business because people have different passions, for example, if i am passionate about car mods and decor, i will find it fun working with them and making profits! like id buy some bulk material online which is demand and sell it to the retailers. this way ill not have the stress and burden on me cos i will like what i and doing!

I'm running a small business, soon to launch, selling drone parts. I always liked flight and robots but I can't sell them due to cost, just one small part I designed myself.

If you asked me I would recommend things to do with celebrations and events, these will be big in the years ahead, as will protests, sign printing, uniforms or tee shirts, anthems, music, web hosting. People are rising up and the wealthy are debauching.

I am also looking to start a small business from a low investment. Need suggestions for business ideas. thanks