There are many ideas floating around in this economy about what it takes to be successful.

Books by the 100's provide a prescription, a plan, or a word of advice. Most turn out to be very helpful but, I have noticed there is one thing missing from all of them. It is the one thing that is a common thread of every successful business person, company, advisor or an investor.

Yes, we have to have a good idea that solves a problem or need; yes, good people are important; and yes, tenacity and persistance are all a must. But, there is one aspect of success that is deeper--one that, if missing, will cause failure. If you talk to successful people you will feel it, but they might not even mention it as THE key. They might blame their success on a new product, or a new computer, or on a good manager. They all miss the point!

So, what is it? It is excitement, enthusiasm and it's staying motivated. Making money is a good motivator; a dream motivates some, just working toward a goal motivates others.

What motivates YOU......?

pedrocampos

Good post, man.
What those highly successful people have in common are the obsession and the emersion. They totally commit to whatever project they are involved in. You got to be obsessed with success, about making money, helping people, obsessed about being known, getting attention.

We gotta have something within us to keep pushing. to never give up! and many want to get out of the valley quickly and soar to the mountain, but unfortunately there's a process. patience, hard work and persistence. trust me it does pay off.

We all must deal with our personal value systems in business ownership.

I spent 36 years in the Military Industrial Complex and learned a great deal from the large and small companies for whom I worked. This permitted me to be quite successful in my own consulting firm for 10 years at the end of my career. But I found that I did not have the gut desire to become rich and I always paid everyone else before I paid myself - not necessarily a recipe for success.

In short, my value system was not suited for small business ownership.

The most fulfillment I have had in my professional career has been in forming my own non-profit organization in retirement to assist veterans and small businesses free of charge and supporting two other organizations in doing so.

Our existence and our mental universe are driven by factors that we as individuals inherit through the gene pool, as enhanced by our experiences in life.

In short we are most at peace when we are in sync with the personal value system that has evolved as a result of the above factors and when we are permitted to pursue our values in our personal and professional endeavors.

If we cannot achieve that harmony we will seek change.

Human intellect is an ever restless endeavor and we struggle to evolve in other aspects fast enough to adapt to our technology. The human physiology has not evolved to match the pace at which we live today.

We are sensitive and vulnerable creatures, designed in a complex and vastly varying ways. The pace of life these days requires cultivation of expectation management and everyone must evolve their own unique form of that art.

Last edited:
I think you've started a great post, @Larry Potter!

If you allow me, I'll respectfully express my opinion about those topics.

Management professionals face a strong competition with such book writers. There are thousand of millions of books telling you the "success formula". They're often based on the writer's experience or in people they asked about (and often both).

The problem is that people know what they've done, and not what they've done for the achievement. I mean... I could put a fish net of "Brand X" somewhere in the river where fishes prefer to be. And then I go home with lots of fishes; and my friends come home with "Brand Y" nets in the end of the same day with just a few because they were in the wrong place. But assume that I'm not a skilled fisher and don't know there are more fishes in that place, and my friends ask me the secret of success in fishing?

Well, I could teach them a lot about how did I moved the net, how the "Brand X" made the difference, how did I had faith on my own fishing skills, etc. I could tell them a lot of things I BELIEVE I've done to succeed in fishing. But it doesn't mean I'm really right!

I'm not telling it's "luck of being where there are more fishes". Yes, in my example it's luck; but often it's not (or it's unlikely to be just luck). But if you start looking at people who failed, you'll see a lot of people with those "success characteristics" too.

So, coming back to the "success formula" those books sell. It depends a lot on the context. Their sources of information are at least biased, and no one should pay too much attention to "pop management" literature.

Yes, sometimes they are cool stories of entrepreneurs - and I confess I love to read some of them! But keeping in mind that they're stories; management is a science (with some pieces of art), and one wanting more chances to succeed should find better sources of knowledge.

And so, answering to your question, that's what keeps my motivation up: seeking knowledge. It's what fulfills me and keep me waking up everyday.

What motivates me is not money actually, it is creating something or being of value to people.
I have alwys found out that i am not too excited about making money, but instead, i want to be the reason of change, contribute to a project that i know will change lives and just influence people to be better.
I feel what it takes to be sucessful is when you love the process, hardwork, disappointments and basically playing the game more than the actual goal you are pursuing.

mentrabi

For me, it's knowing your why. It's truly believing in why you're doing the work you are doing.

The why fuels your internal fire.

Imagine spending all day working on a big project around your house or church with close friends. Several hours later you realize your starving so you order up some delivery.

When it arrives everyone grabs their plates and utensils and piles food several inches high. Stomachs grumbling and fingers are shaking.

Within minutes there's complete silence with the exception of relentless chewing and scraping of forks as you fill your belly with the delicious food. Working all day you didn't realize you were even hungry. Within minutes the food is nearly gone and your stuffed.

That drive you felt to take so much food and eat it so quickly was fueled by hunger. Your why in that moment was survival, you needed energy and didn't stop until you were full.

Imagine having that same desire to get to your goals.

Know your why, fuel that internal fire.

ChowShow

the success rate depends about what kind of success you are talking about? you can be successful in your own way, just love the things you are doing and be passion about it

Top Bottom