What do you guys think of this strategy?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Thread starter #1
This idea that I have will generate leads, extra income, interaction, publicity, and possible new clients/customers, and connections (at least, it should if done right). But I will try to summarize this, so some details may be left out. The idea is this:

1. My startup will send out surveys (and other businesses and startups could refer people to take our survey as well if we make an agreement). That survey will help us determine what do people like in terms of interaction and competition.
  2. People who complete our survey will be added to our email list and will receive some sort of exclusive offer (have not decided yet).
  3. Based on the survey answers, we will work towards that (such as, a Video Contest).
  4. People who want to enter that contest will pay an entry fee from like 10-30$ per team; however, discounts on the entry fee can apply, such as if they refer someone.
  5. The public will be the judge on who did the best job on the contest and the winners will get the grand prize (undecided yet).
  6. And depending on how successful this is, it may become an annual thing or something of that nature.
This would (in theory) meet the six goals that I listed at first. But what do you guys think?

I think it's a good idea but it all hinges on step 2.

Ultimately, what's in it for whoever fills out the survey? That needs to be pretty darn compelling otherwise you could end up being viewed as spammy.

Personally, I would start by providing free value in some way.

- Here's a free video
- Here's a free ebook

Then offer people who have received that stuff from you a survey with the promise of more value you'll offer them.

That's just my two cents though! Good plan overall.

Thread starter #3
I think it's a good idea but it all hinges on step 2.

Ultimately, what's in it for whoever fills out the survey? That needs to be pretty darn compelling otherwise you could end up being viewed as spammy.

Personally, I would start by providing free value in some way.

- Here's a free video
- Here's a free ebook

Then offer people who have received that stuff from you a survey with the promise of more value you'll offer them.

That's just my two cents though! Good plan overall.
Thanks!

Edvin

MVP
Top Contributor
I think I'm off base on my response; but, I will share my thoughts.

I will start by echoing Chiedo.
Your survey hinges on promotional offer, which I'm not sure that it is a traffic generator.

You need a quantifiable strategy that will put your survey in front of people; of which you can estimate participation.
For example, is this presented during an event like chamber of commerce meeting? Will you use social media; if so how many people are following you for this to be an impact? How are you creating the buzz?

Are you planning on paying for ads (email, ppc, retargeting, radio, flyer, etc) to attract audiance to engage with your survey? If so, we are now back to marketing and penetration strategy; in which is this the best strategy (surveys followed by a promotion give away) for getting in front of your target customers?

There are people that are already looking for your "better" service; your goal should be getting in front of them and let them know you are better. And the rest of marketing is brand/presence awareness so when someone needs help you are first to jump in their mind.

If your goal is market research (via survey), then there are better options. For example you can pay for online survey that will target specific demographics and proceed with further inquery if your gate questions are satisfied.

Start with your end S.M.A.R.T. goal and strategize to achieve it.

Last edited:

Edvin

MVP
Top Contributor
Thanks DJ.
It was a link to set of images related to marketing SMART (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, Time-bound).
I updated the above link, and many topics exist on google search for those new to the idea.

Last edited: