What are your common problems with employees?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

I was wondering what everyone is struggling with in regards to managing employees? Is it writing the job descriptions, hiring, performance management, disciplinary action or something else? I am struggling with performance management and disciplinary action and wanted to see what is giving everyone else problems.

Small to Feds

MVP
Top Contributor
Training is an absolute necessity and many of the clients I counsel are challenged in developing dynamic training programs.

As fast as things move these days if we don't train and communicate effectively we are running very high risks. The modern era in which we live demands that training is sophisticated, interactive and responsive to changing times. It should evolve out of core company processes and contain feedback mechanisms.

Some training will be global, such as policy, corporate ethics and human relations. Other training will be specialized, such as changes in law, company policy or technology by functional areas.

Principal among the topics at the head of the list for generic training in the art of something would be "Communicating Effectively" to employees to customers, to regulators; both orally and in writing.

Training in business is a form of communication more than it is an academic pursuit, although elements of it may include learning new information.

Still, it is not schooling in the sense of personal improvement as much as it is communication of company policy and expectations

The best organizations make sure everyone from the chairman of the board to the janitor understands that training is a privilege, a right and a requirement and that it will be conducted as a matter of record for everyone.

SMALL BUSINESS FEDERAL GOVERNMENT CONTRACTING ("Smalltofeds"): SMALL BUSINESS COMPANY TRAINING

VirtualGlobalPhone

MVP
hiringguy ; welcome to bizwarriors and you started with a very good questions.

In today's world its more psychological than knowledge. The employees don't express fully the potential of themselves. More and more program need to address this to get the best out ...

Last edited:
That's really nice and informative reply, Small to Feds. You need to take feedback from your staff about the current situation so that they can gain some trust and will let you know before they take any action. Communication gap can create big issue you should always talk with them. Training would be additional benefits it will boost the staff skills but make sure that you take the feedback after each training session.

One of the challenges we encounter communication. How bosses and coworkers give feedback to each other. What seems like feedback for some people would feel like criticism for others.

I have faced many challenges in the past with the following:
  1. Setting Expectations
  2. Setting Goals
  3. Weekly 1:1's to see how we are pacing against our goals
These were the challenges we faced when we hired our first sales rep outside the founders in our consulting company a few years ago. Transparency on what was actually being completed was a big issue, along with starting to become a friend with them.

So in our case, it was hiring sales, so you need to have a CRM that can track all their calls, record calls, & activities they do. That way, they cannot lie about it and during their 1:1's you can review the metrics and go over the hot prospects. This transparency will put pressure on them to perform or realize they are not the best fit for your company.

Asking these questions is def a step up so you do not make these mistakes.

The main problem with the workforce is their ambition. The truth is, the majority of employees will not make much of an attempt to further themselves and that will not change with any amount of training. For simple jobs this is fine, actually it may be beneficial to have unambitious people in these positions as they will largely remain at the same salary and not look to leave or will have it difficult to do so. But for more sophisticated positions only ambitious employees must be hired, and fired asap if they do not show a nature of self development. Failure to do so will result in endless training without achieving any results.

There are two major expectations from employees in today's offices: one is they need an environment where they can progress in their career and an ability to maintain proper work life balance

I do not have a traditional job. I work as a Teaching Assistant. I accompany my instructors to their lectures and my "duties" involve distributing leaflets, instruction manuals, collecting assignments, and grading them. Very rarely am I allowed to teach the class. My department has 3 TAs in total, and one of the biggest challenges we face is morale- and motivation-related. Because we want full-funding, we have to work as TAs, but it is a very thankless job. We receive very little respect or consideration from students, and instructors are quite unapproachable. We are assigned too much work to be able to concentrate enough on our Doctoral proposals.

I do not mean to complain on this forum. I know full well the challenges of being a TA, and I took the role with consent.

But I think the best thing employers can do is to create an honest and respecting environment: one in which employees do not feel expendable or belittled. That will certainly increase productivity and morale. :)

The problem is human facts, that is, people can make mistakes. But that's okay. The most important thing is to appreciate employees and respect them. If you do so, the staff will always be for you and your work. BUT if you want to improve their quality, then conduct trainings or ask them to conduct trainings for other employees, then they will know the product better. Our boss used to do that. He also took exams.