Business or Entrepreneurial questions? BizWarriors is completely FREE - paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! You can now use your Facebook or Twitter account to regsiter or login. If you're new to the BizWarriors Forum, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Website review and feedback

Discussion in 'Website Reviews' started by Steve41, Jan 4, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Steve41

Steve41 Member

Hi, I have been a bit hesitant to do this but here it goes...

Wellness Coach | Vancouver | 15 Minute Boost

I did this all by myself on wix. I have no experience other than building this site.

I would appreciate any feedback on the design, flow, message, SEO?
    Am I missing anything crucial?

Thanks in advance
    Steve

2. djbaxter

djbaxter Administrator Moderator Member

Pressed for time just now but I've bookmarked your post to come back later.

3. Edvin

Edvin MVP Member Top Contributor

I can understand your apprehension, and I think you did a great job.
    It is obvious that you spent a great deal of time on it.

I'm not a web designer, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt.
    • Love the initial splash
    • The top "Contact Now" link on hope page does not do anything
    • Remove mailto hyperlink and replace your email with an image to avoid from black-hat-bots spamming your email
    • Using Chrome browser I noticed your content was cut-off from left side of the window.
      I couldn't scroll to the left; so, your page appeared broken because the "Tweet" windows were outside my view. I then realized that I need to resize my browser.
    • Because the tweet windows look similar with the "same heading", my knee jerk reaction was that you have old content. I suggest removing @15minuteBoost from every tweet
    • Typeface font is inconsistent
      • Heading is smaller than body. This isn't necessarily a bad thing; but, I think the template is working against you here
      • Though you can have different font sizes/styles, they should be consistent. That is, all the body should be same. All your heading same.
        Your content body appears to be changing in size
      • I feel there is too much underlining.
        Most will think the underline content is a hyperlink.
      • Your changing font color too often. Again, it should change in a consistent manner. For example, the heading is different than the body; but, don't change color
      • Again, the font size changed on our-dream
    • Your font is too big in main body. Is this because you feel you don't have enough content?
      If so, splash it up with little images and icons. You did a great job on your pricing section.
      You want to keep this kind of consistency.
    • The background color on Areas-of-focus page doesn't work for me.
      I suggest washing-out your background image and not utilizing background font color
    • The green color The Solution is a definite no; Change it.
    • I have almost same feeling about the color on FAQ page.
    • Make your address and map a hyperlink to google maps direction.
    • Are you intentionally leaving-out phone number for contact us, which is fine.
    • Remove Customer Reviews until you have more. At least try to solicit 8 more :)
    • SEO seems like lacking
      • What terms are you targeting? Did you use a keyword planner?
        Keywords should appear in hyperlink, headings, body, and support keyword density
      • Your meta-description (though low weight) has very little key terms. For example, do you expect someone to find you by searching "Metro Vancouver". I would reward the following
        Metro Vancouver BC, Corporate Wellness Program Coaching service. Everything about our 15 Minute Boost service can be found on this page
        Employee wellness program with 1-to-1 coaching and team
      • Did you use any SEO tools to help you with analyzing the page
      • Your alt tag images don't appear to contain descriptions with keywords

djbaxter likes this.
  4. Steve41

Steve41 Member

Thanks Edvin, those are great suggestions. Clearly I need professional help to bring it the rest of the way. Ive answered some of the questions above in blue.

5. Edvin

We all can use help in one shape or another.
    You've done the hard part; it might be worth a few dollars to have someone polish it for you.

6. djbaxter

Hi, @Steve41... I'm finally getting back to this. I see @Edvin has given you a number of good suggestions above...

"Instant site builders" like Wix are okay for creating a quick internet presence but they do leave a lot to be desired when it comes to a business page.

Your site does look pretty but I'll list some of my observations in no particular order as they occur to me:

1. I am not a fan of one-page sites. For one thing, they do you no favors when it comes to search engine optimization. Although searchbots are much more sophisticated than they were a decade ago, there is a limit to how much they will index from a single page and the focus will be on text content "above the fold". Additionally, human visitors today are much less likely to read long pages: they want their information in small bits, especially those using mobile browsers, which is now about 50% of the search market. It is much better to break that page into 4-6 logical pages with a consistent message built around specific information/content and specific keywords and key phrases.

2. Your site is responsive (usable on small as well as large screens) - positive check for that - but the menu isn't visible on small screens because it floats off to the left.

Even on full width desktop, you have content and/or images that are not visible if the browser is windowed instead of full screen. Because I work with a lot of windows and tabs open, and have a decent size monitor, I never use full screen for browsers so there are parts of your site that I almost didn't notice at all.

3. The text is all center-aligned which looks bad, amateurish. Left justify it.

4. your domain, fifteenminuteboost.com, is catchy but long - too many opportunities for typos there - and it's not an exact match for your "logo":

15minuteboost.png

You can grab the domain 15minuteboost.com at Godaddy.com for $10.99 - go grab it now before someone else does. Even if you don't like my suggestion, you do want to stop someone else from getting the domain and starting a competitive site (or worse, pointing it to a site you don't want associated with your name). I would use the new domain as primary and redirect the current domain to the new one, so either will end up in the same place.

4. There is limited opportunity for adding fresh new content to your site. Consequently, you are missing the opportunity to encourage repeat visitors to your site or creating fresh "spider food" for search engine bots to feast on.

5. The existing page is not leveraging social media at all, which is a huge omission in today's market.

Bottom line recommendations:
    • get the shorter domain above
    • get your own independent hosting. You can get cheap shared hosting for as little as $5-6 a month or less: GoDaddy has a special currently at $1.49 per month
      • Web Hosting with FREE domain. On sale C$1.49/mo
      • Global data centers mean faster load times
      • One-click install of WordPress, Drupal, Joomla and more
      • Guaranteed 99.9% uptime
      You may eventually outgrow GoDaddy hosting but it's a decent starting point and it's not difficult to transfer sites to a new host.
    • dump Wix and install WordPress - you can use the existing images and text content as static Pages on the new site, but broken up into separate Pages
    • create social media pages with the same names as your domain - Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest to start - and update these pages at least weekly with brief content, tips on health or specials, etc. Keep them short.
    • link to your social media pages from your WordPress site
    • use feeds from your social media pages in the WordPress sidebar to automatically display the latest posts on your social media sites
    • add new content on a regular basis in the form of blog Posts - again they needn't be overly long but they can be more substantial than the social media updates - they don't even need to be entirely original content: you can use an excerpt of up to 2-3 paragraphs from another site, with full credit and a link to the original article, and add your own comments on that article
    That's not an exhaustive list but I hope it will point you in the right direction. Good luck.

Edvin likes this.
  7. Steve41

Steve41 Member

Hi djbaxter, thanks for all that. I'll be outsourcing all this website and social media stuff as I get some sales going. Its just not my forte o_O. Just one question tho on the domain name. I heard somewhere that using numbers in your domain name was not a good idea, is that true? Thats why I went with the long version. I have no problem changing it as it does suit my company name better anyway.

Anyway, thanks again for the tips!
    Steve

8. djbaxter

No there's nothing wrong at all with using numbers in a domain name.

But my recommendation is keep both so no one else can dilute your branding.

9. Edvin

I agree with djbaxter; there is nothing wrong with numbers in the domain name; for example, see 1and1.com hosting.

Steve41 and djbaxter like this.
  10. Success Forever

Success Forever Member

Great quality pictures
    Could do with a video and your sales copy needs work
    But I think you have made a great start

Steve41 likes this.
  11. Olia

Olia Member

Hello Steve,

First of all, you did a great job on your website. :)
    I just have one question, did you know that there are online website builder studios which actually offer their help in a website setup. I mean they don't just give you an access to their website editor but they can set up a website for you. :) I think this is pretty amazing if you feel like it's too painful and hard for you to do it yourself.

I know that it is very hard to build a website with a nice layout if you are a begging and know nothing about UX. That's why such services are a great option and they are pretty affordable.

It is very important for a new business to have an attractive website to build trust.

12. Steve41

Steve41 Member

Olia, thanks for the feedback. I didnt know about the website builders. I'm very amateur at best with website knowledge. I just took it as far as I could before having to outsource it which I will do once I start building some cash flow.

Steve

Olia likes this.
  13. dillfly2000

dillfly2000 Member

Easy on the eyes, not cluttered, good response time. Everything is where it should be. Good job :)

Steve41 likes this.
  14. Olia

Olia Member

Hey, Steve! If you wish, I might share with you some references to website builders I know :)

15. Steve41

Steve41 Member

Olia, sure that would be handy. Thanks

16. Olia

Olia Member

You can check out Weblium.:) I know they have pretty cool offerings for customers who are beginners at websites and they can help you out in its creation.