Website Content: Just get to the point!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

djbaxter

Administrator
A reminder to stop rambling around and get to the point for your website visitors, unless you are intentionally trying to alienate them.

For the love of God, please tell me what your company does
by Geoff Graham, CSS-Tricks
September 6, 2017

Kasper Kubica goes on a humorous rant about the way companies describe themselves on their websites:

More and more often, upon discovering a new company or product, I visit their website hoping to find out what it is they do, but instead get fed a mash of buzzwords about their “team” and “values”. And this isn’t a side dish — this is the main entrée of these sites, with a coherent explanation of the company’s products or services rarely occupying more than a footnote on the menu.
While many of the examples and points are funny at their core, there's clearly a level of frustration laced between the lines and it's easy to understand why:

At this point, I’ve given up. I’m back to Google, back to searching ... because even though I came to [the site] knowing exactly what I wanted, I have no idea what they offer.
Read full article...

VirtualGlobalPhone

Top Poster Of Month
Its so true... but having said in today's connected world as every other sells similar or same product / service its important to put across more consolidated information for decision making to customer in one view. That gives more challenged to creating and UI guys.

djbaxter

Administrator
True. But the key is to start first with essential information about your products or services and get to the part about why they should buy from you second.

No one cares why they should buy from you if they don't know what you're offering.

VirtualGlobalPhone

Top Poster Of Month
With you @djbaxter ; but one thing need to be considered is that customers spend very less time on a web as they have lots of choices. A unique , to the point , narrow down UI and if needed a handy info on background will make sure to capture the customer attention. You know sale always starts from generating the interest ..

Charu

Nice. i think story telling is the best way to engage your audience.

azgold

MVP
You know, it's funny. I have occasionally come across sites that talked a ton (lots of typed content) but said little to nothing. I've left, still not knowing what the heck they did, or very confused about their service. I guess they forget to present their information in a way that people who know nothing of their business, can understand.

Luckily, I rarely experience that. I think in this day and age, most are aware of the importance of content without fluff.

Eanatum

That makes a lot of sense. It's all about balance. Vanity is awesome, but not when you are writing webpages.

Jessica A.

A reminder to stop rambling around and get to the point for your website visitors, unless you are intentionally trying to alienate them.

For the love of God, please tell me what your company does
by Geoff Graham, CSS-Tricks
September 6, 2017

Read full article...
This is absolutely right! I've never been more frustrated about a website that doesn't tell you what their services is all about. I had to google up reviews in order to understand it. The information should also come from the official site not only from people who've known how to use it. They should know that if they want more people coming in.