1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Welcome to the BizWarriors Forum!
Why not join our community?

We talk about all these things but one thing we dont talk about

Discussion in 'Starting Your Business' started by Robert Squires, Oct 9, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Robert Squires

Robert Squires Member

What are the struggles when you are just starting out in business

2. VirtualGlobalPhone

VirtualGlobalPhone Moderator MVP Member

@Robert Squires ;

If you look forward / believe that its a "struggle" then, its better to be employed.

Business is driven by passion , Trust, hard work, and just serving others without any expectation. If not the days of the end is always numbered.

3. innov8

innov8 Member

There is a lot of struggle. There will always will be, so don't worry about running into problems because you will always have them. Instead focus on winning and believing in yourself. Know you can do it, then do it. :) Don't look back. Because in 30 years you dont want to have the regret and wish you would've started when you had the motivation to begin with.

-Mofectious

JohnHolling likes this.
  4. Josephine Stuart

Josephine Stuart MVP Member

@VirtualGlobalPhone I don't think there's anything wrong with calling a struggle what it is: a struggle. You can recognize that something is difficult without necessarily hating it or wanting to quit. In fact, why would anyone spend their lives doing only things they find easy?

Glamorizing entrepreneurship (AKA, calling it the epitome of passion/trust/service with only positive connotation) is only going to create a false sense of hope for people who are maybe not cut out to be entrepreneurs. Yes, it is hard work -- and sometimes it totally sucks. But let's be honest about that.

5. Josephine Stuart

@Robert Squires As for my answer to your question -- my biggest struggle is making sure that a business idea is the one I want to pursue. I've always been a super ambitious person, and I come up with business ideas all the time (I'm sure a lot of people do, in fact). Sometimes I outline them on paper; sometimes I don't. Regardless, it's hard to pick one and run with it -- I'm worried that after months of hard work, I'll regret not chasing another idea instead.

JohnHolling and djbaxter like this.
  6. JohnHolling

JohnHolling Serial entrepreneur, Investor, Mentor Administrator Moderator Member

@Josephine Stuart hit the nail on the head. There will be struggles in business - not just while starting, but always. This is why many never make the leap to entrepreneurship. It's not for the faint of heart. The key is to hope for the best and be prepared for the worst. Not in a pessimistic or cynical way, but in a realistic way. If you go into a business venture expecting there to be no struggles, you're setting yourself up for some serious heartache.

I highly recommend the book "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life" by Mark Mason. He points out that there will always be challenges in life, and the way to best navigate them is to choose the f*cks you give wisely. BTW, the audio version of this book is fantastic!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2016
  7. VirtualGlobalPhone

I get where your conversation come from, and i am with you.

But Please note with below i am not here to justify but addressing what @Robert Squires raised. He asked "struggle for starting a business and not startup".

When you start something with already always mode of "Struggle" its obvious of starting something with fear. And by design of the thoughts , its just numbered to collapse ...

So better to work that fear.. make it a friend and then re-look the statement. I am sure the word "Struggle" will transform to " All those passion/trust/service ". Just a thought ..

At the end i personally believe; Whats need to be protected is the thoughts and words that comes out of the three inch of space above our eyes and between the 2 ears. And my friend its going to be a best journey a 'being' makes to grave.

8. Josephine Stuart

@VirtualGlobalPhone I certainly get where you're coming from now. Yes: if you go into entrepreneurship with a negative mindset, you are setting yourself up for failure. But you also can't look at entrepreneurship through rose-colored glasses.

@JohnHolling Do you think that book applies to things other than entrepreneurship? It sounds great!

9. VirtualGlobalPhone

Thanks @Josephine Stuart .

Bottom line is we are who we are of the words that comes out of our thoughts.

10. TA Accounting

TA Accounting Member

The biggest struggle I had was working capital.

I started my business right after college and I used my credit card to get a lot of it off the ground. Then, the next biggest hurdle came - where to find enough clients. I was young and didn't think about networking with bankers and business brokers at the time. So I missed out on a lot of opportunities.