Julia Sta Romana

Top Contributor
Burger King got a lot of backlash with regards to their tweet that reads
1615272679806.pngThe tweet has since been removed with Burger King apologizing. But before it was deleted, Burger King defended the tweet, saying that with the controversial statement, it brought more attention to Burger King's actual message, their culinary scholarship program.

What do you guys think? Did it work? Yeah, we're talking about them now but I don't think this has done more harm than good.

djbaxter

Administrator
I don't think it today's "cancel culture" it was a wise move at all. In the US, a southern pastor has actually gone into hiding to escape the backlash after a similar 1800-1900 throwback statement telling women that "they should work hard to look good for their husbands".

VirtualGlobalPhone

Top Poster Of Month
Opps ... I know business is a war that doesn't mean you use "N" bombs to make a statement or create attention.

On the other hand i dont blame... what you expect from the people who feed the world the Obesity, Disease, poverty etc.

djbaxter

Administrator
Not to mention that of all the fast food outlets, in Canada at least, Burger King has the worst quality control, at least here in Canada. I got food poisoning twice at Burger King (after the second time I stopped eating there).

Just another indication that it's not the best run franchise business in the world.

Dora Wi

MVP
Well, it definitely got people talking about Burger King so maybe it was good marketing?

But the message itself is incredibly tone deaf - surely their scholarship is not just for women. And the timing is so bad it's almost hilarious. The original goal of International Women's Day, to bring attention to the social and systemic inequalities between men and women, has already been lost on many people, nowadays it's all about guys feeling pressured to buy flowers and chocolate and a way for retail businesses to cash in. Statements like this just make it feel even more useless.

Julia Sta Romana

Top Contributor
Not to mention that of all the fast food outlets, in Canada at least, Burger King has the worst quality control, at least here in Canada. I got food poisoning twice at Burger King (after the second time I stopped eating there).

Just another indication that it's not the best run franchise business in the world.
I agree. And to make matters worse, it was shown that they spent more on the marketing campaign for the scholarship than they did on the scholarship fund itself. They spent at least $300k on the campaign. The scholarship fund is only around $50k.

Julia Sta Romana

Top Contributor
Well, it definitely got people talking about Burger King so maybe it was good marketing?

But the message itself is incredibly tone deaf - surely their scholarship is not just for women. And the timing is so bad it's almost hilarious. The original goal of International Women's Day, to bring attention to the social and systemic inequalities between men and women, has already been lost on many people, nowadays it's all about guys feeling pressured to buy flowers and chocolate and a way for retail businesses to cash in. Statements like this just make it feel even more useless.
True! The rationale behind the scholarship fund that they were marketing was actually good. There are not enough women in leadership positions in the food industry. Bringing awareness to having more women take leadership/management roles in the kitchen would have been a good thing. The phrase, "Women belong in the kitchen" would have worked if they just added the phrase "if they want to" and then add a picture of their ad. The sentence isn't that long. I've seen longer Twitter rants. Ugh!

Thank you coming to my Ted Talk.

The rationale behind the scholarship fund that they were marketing was actually good. There are not enough women in leadership positions in the food industry. Bringing awareness to having more women take leadership/management roles in the kitchen

Julia Sta Romana - great post!!

When I first saw the Ad, context was missing and I had NO idea they were referring to their Scholarship program, which is a good thing!!

Perhaps BK should have use:

"Ladies, the kitchen business is booming
#IWD #BurgerKingScholarship"

djbaxter

Administrator
There were probably several options for Burger King bit in a flash of brilliance they chose to go with the worst of their options.

As I said earlier, for me this just confirms that they are one of the worst of the big franchises.

Top Bottom