cbm0119

Hi everyone,

Any help or past experience with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

My LLC is currently in the startup phase and will be a home-based ecommerce business. I have chosen to use a UPS box street address for the location of my business to avoid using my home address for privacy reasons. The UPS box address is on my legal documents (Articles of Organization, etc.) and will also be printed on the packaging of my products. However, I am running into an issue when applying for my business license. My local county clerk is telling me that I must use my home address on my business license because that is where my business is actually going to be conducted. They will not accept the UPS box address. Is it legally acceptable to use 2 different addresses on these documents: (the UPS address) on legal documents and then my personal address on my business license? The county clerk is adamant that they will not accept the UPS box address, and I do not want to have to change my legal documents to reflect my home address as I don’t want this information published to the public.

Thank you for any advice.

Edvin

MVP
Congratulation on your endeavor.

Do you have any family or friend who has a business that you can use their address for your incorporation?

If not, you need to search for registered agent who can accept legal documents on your behalf.
These services can forward all correspondence to your home and provide the privacy that you needed for a reasonably small fee.

Here is a nice article regarding home-based physical address questions

djbaxter

Administrator
Is it legally acceptable to use 2 different addresses on these documents: (the UPS address) on legal documents and then my personal address on my business license? The county clerk is adamant that they will not accept the UPS box address, and I do not want to have to change my legal documents to reflect my home address as I don’t want this information published to the public.
Short answer, yes.

I have recently had to address exactly this issue on two clients' website. The legal documents contain the actual address but that address does not appear anywhere on the website.

Similarly, you create a free Google My Business account and list your business as a Service Area Business or SAB. You are required to provide a physical address for the business for the GMB account in order for them to verify that you are the actual owner of the business but it is not published. Instead, you define a service area, wither using zipcode/postal code or specifying how far away you service customers from your location and that is all that Google publishes (along with a phone number).

By the way, every small business owner should create or have their webmaster create a free Google My Business account. It is one of the most important free marketing options. :)

Top Bottom