1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Business or Entrepreneurial questions? BizWarriors is completely FREE - paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! You can now use your Facebook or Twitter account to regsiter or login. If you're new to the BizWarriors Forum, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Featured The Rising (Part 3) : Surveys

Discussion in 'Planning Your Business' started by Edvin, Oct 9, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Edvin

Edvin MVP Member Top Contributor

Phoenix.png
    Rising from the ashes
    Start: The Rising (Part 1): Introduction
    Previous: The Rising (Part 2): The Inception
    Current: The Rising (Part 3): Surveys
    Next: The Rising (Part 4): Location - A Simple Model

In previous post, The Rising (Part 2): The Inception, I hinted that I would talk about my franchise selection. I haven't had a chance to review my notes; so, I have to delay that to another post. In the mean time I'll share with you other elements that I have been working on.

Survey:
    I must admit, doing a survey is more difficult/work than I anticipated. For example, to determine a name that resonates with most, I posted on multiple forums, which include: BizWarriors (this forum), theFastLane, reddit, and city-data. Here is the stat so far:
    146 visited the survey
    50 completed the survey
    22 our 50 contacts that completed the survey were my personal friends/family.

Unwavered with the lack of response, I decided to survey the customers of a big box store in a nearby city because 1) I don't want prospective future customers see me doing outdoor survey, 2) I don't have to chase customers to get their survey.

Since this was my first time, I thought it would be appropriate to approach the store manager before conducting the survey. I was informed that soliciting in any form is not allowed.

Next, I decided to visit the local Mall. There I learned that I must get prior authorization before attempting to do anything. So, I need to followup on Monday to see if that can be done. I spoke with an individual in a kiosk to get more information. Apparently, they are not allowed to approach customers, and must remain in their domain; they can only interact with a customer if the customer approaches them.
    Well, this will make it difficult for me to survey customers.

Next, I visited a smaller business where parents hangout (i.e. dance, gymnastics, etc). The business owner did not object for me to stand outside and ask my single question survey; however, there was nut much activity since it was on Saturday morning. After 15 minutes I decided to find a location with higher traffic.

Next, I visited kids birthday-party event center (i.e. Chuck e Cheese, John's Incredible Pizza, etc). There too, I learned that I need prior authorization.

It is certainly easier to ask for forgiveness then permission; for now, my survey plans are suspended until I get an authorization.

I've also been doing more research and brainstorming regarding location; so, I hope to share my finding with you soon.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017