Edvin

MVP
Phoenix.png
Rising from the ashes...
Start: The Rising (Part 1) - Introduction
Previous: The Rising (Part 13) - Into the CRM
Current: The Rising (Part 14) - Door Hangers
Next: The Rising (Part 15) - Headshot & Explainer Video

I keep hijacking posts on this forum; but, this time I managed restrain myself and start a new topic. I have more information to share regarding my recent activities; but, this post was motivated after reading The No. 1 Marketing Tool Every Business Needs, which contained the following quote:
Link all your marketing and advertising back to your business website

I would agree with above quote a month ago; but, now I'm not so sure if putting your website on all marketing assets is a good idea. Since this post is about door hangers, I'll defer my disagreement to the end of my posting.

Let me start by saying that the door hangers is one of many marketing strategies that I have been considering; so, there is no need to crucify me for not talking about online ad campaigns, social media, etc...
Rest assured that I plan to leave no stone un-turned...actually, that is not a true statement; I doubt if I will ever advertise on TV during a Superbowl commercial. You may disagree with me and might be saying, "...Edvin, never say never...you might one day be able to advertise on Superbowl"; but..., okay, I submit, you're right :)
doorHanger.jpg

Why door hangers instead of a direct mail? Because my initial evaluation suggested that print and postage stamp would become more expensive than placing door hanger. Furthermore, I feel door hangers get a glance, where as direct mail gets thrown in garbage without a look.

As usual, I like to support my theory and found this case study that supports the idea of door hangers having lower cost per lead. But, there are plenty of forums that show door-hangers have yielded zero result! The fact is, they all work, its matter of figuring out how to do it effectively and maximize our time/money.

I thought to myself why would anyone look at my door hangers. I certainly throw away all the hangers that I remember receiving. So, I figured that my hangers need to be different. I thought about making a quick jig to strategically put a hole in my door hangers and tape a flashing LED with a battery.
led.jpg
This will flash for 3 to5 days before the battery runs out.
I can get 1000 LEDs for about $15 and 1000 batteries (3 volts) for $120 from Aliexpress
How could parents resist not showing this to their kids and remembering robotics/programming kids camp.

But, how many hangers should I put out there?
I found an online mailing list that filters 70,000 city population down to 1200 households based on filter criteria (income, kids, married, etc) for about couple hundred dollars. This reduces the cost for number of hangers/mailing. Interestingly, from above link the marketer changed from custom mailing list to mass-mailing list (due to lower total cost); so, maybe I'll need to revisit custom mailing list idea.

As I reflect more, I asked myself how frequently should I put-out door hangers on the same doors? Interesting reads around marketing frequency include Marketing Rule of 7, 16+ blogs per month (maybe that's why we see frequent new posts from forum moderators/admins), and wiki has some nice info around marketing frequency. Namely the primary & recency affect, Krugman's rule of three, and Thomas Smith's 20 rule:
The first time people look at any given ad, they don't even see it.
The second time, they don't notice it.
The third time, they are aware that it is there.
The fourth time, they have a fleeting sense that they've seen it somewhere before.
The fifth time, they actually read the ad.
The sixth time they thumb their nose at it.
The seventh time, they start to get a little irritated with it.
The eighth time, they start to think, "Here's that confounded ad again."
The ninth time, they start to wonder if they're missing out on something.
The tenth time, they ask their friends and neighbors if they've tried it.
The eleventh time, they wonder how the company is paying for all these ads.
The twelfth time, they start to think that it must be a good product.
The thirteenth time, they start to feel the product has value.
The fourteenth time, they start to remember wanting a product exactly like this for a long time.
The fifteenth time, they start to yearn for it because they can't afford to buy it.
The sixteenth time, they accept the fact that they will buy it sometime in the future.
The seventeenth time, they make a note to buy the product.
The eighteenth time, they curse their poverty for not allowing them to buy this terrific product.
The nineteenth time, they count their money very carefully.
The twentieth time prospects see the ad, they buy what is offering.

Okay, I figured that I should at-least re-target the same homes three times (if not more).

Continue on next post...

Last edited:

Edvin

MVP
Now lets move to my offer...
My plan is to provide a valuable seminar service that is outside of my normal service to attract prospective parents. For example, for $5-$10 kids can come and learn/play chess, or learn memory strategy, etc; every month I can change the theme regarding intellectual development. I have even considered providing a FREE coupon, and first few callers attend free.
I certainly wanted to put a link to my website for more information, and devised a plan to use short Url (goo.gl) so that links forwards to my campaign landing-page, where I can then feel nice and fuzzy about my analytics dashboard.

I researched some more to learn from others about door hangers;
but, the most interesting reading was from poster called Subiz:

Maybe that is 1 reason why I get 100 calls from 1000 flyers while others get 10 calls? I'm sure, actually I'm 100% positive it isn't the only reason, but it's part of the big picture of why I get all those calls. I don't put out advertisements to lead people to any place except my PHONE. If I want people to call me why would I give them other options?
Content, heading, only 1 call to action and only 1 way to get ahold of us. No pictures of a lawn mower or any other crazy thing. Leave the pictures on the website, not the door hanger.

I learned about only 1 way to get ahold of me several years ago when I was expanding my cleaning business to Kansas City. For the first time I decided to use mailers. I mailed out 2000 and got about 20 calls. I figured for mailers that was about normal. So about a month later I did another 2000 and this time I added my email. This was many years ago when the internet was just getting popular, no texting or anything.... From the 2nd set of 2000 I got 0 phone calls and 16 emails. From those 16 emails I never got 1 customer. And yes, I did work the emails but got 0 customers.

Your website is not for leading people to. That's what your phone is for. Your website is for people searching the web for your service. Why would a smart person spend money advertising a website on their own advertisement when they could just advertise their phone number and TALK to the people? Ok, so I get someone to read my advertisement.... now I lead them to another advertisement (my website).... and now after they've read all that.... the news comes on tv and they forget all about you. Or, IF..... IF they do remember to go to your website after their girlfriend calls and they eat supper and watch Who's Got Talent.... now they can compare you to the rest of the guys out there because they are now on the internet and want to play around a little searching for other guys in your field. Now they have 20 guys to choose from... instead of just giving 1 guy, you a call.

You can make it as hard or as simple for yourself to get business as you want.

I just have one thing to say: WOW
I can't imagine how a website or another ad can do a better job than talking to a sales agent (or you)?
I'm not entirely sure about excluding pictures; but, his experience has certainly made me think about trying out different designs (no pictures, with pictures, one color font, etc).

Okay, so we give them a phone number to call, and we know that they are calling for the seminar. But, the seminar was part of marketing strategy to pull the prospective customer; now I need a way to engage them about other services. So, I thought to myself, instead of answering the phone: "Gradulink, how may I help you", I can say: "Gradulink, Are you calling about our free student assessment?", which can turn into a sale.

While working on this posting, it dawned on me that I plan to provide "intellectual seminar" for kids, which is going to be unique and extremely affordable. As a matter of fact, I expect abundance of interest. So, why am I worrying about people having to call me instead of registering on the website? Well, my answer to myself is that I may not get a chance to talk to the parent about scheduling student assessment, which will have a better conversion to sell.
Then I asked myself, if I expect abundance of interest, shouldn't I adjust my pricing to control the demand and monetize it? Again, I answer by... I want to keep the demand high, and ask parents get on waiting list, register for email notification, follow my twitter, and facebook, etc; this needs to be part of a larger marketing strategy. It appears that I have more things that I need to figure out.

Okay, lets circle back-around to why I opened this post in the first place...
Should you put your website on "all" the marketing assets?
I believe the answer should be "NO". We should be selective on when we put website/linked-in/twitter/facebook on our marketing material. I think Subiz has a great argument to exclude online information from door hangers; however, it might be easier to remember your domain name on a banner than a phone number.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gin

Gin

Every business will have it's own 'type' of marketing activities and target market too. If I were to use a door hanger, I'd have it announce my services with a pic but yeah, include a 'tear-off' pic of my biz card which will have my domain on it.

Top Bottom