Featured The 5 Most Difficult Skills to Acquire In Managing A Small Business

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Small to Feds

MVP
Top Contributor
1. DEVELOPING the ability to cross organizational lines and make disparate groups or functional organizations work together with only your power of persuasion and your contract going for you.

2. EVOLVING the art of directing resources without having them report to you while keeping clients and associates happy at the same time.

3. MANAGING to convince the client that your products and services are the most important to their firm.

4. LIVING with the prospect that if the company is late, fails or otherwise disappoints the powers that be, replacing you will be the designated corrective action.

5. GROWING to crave the satisfaction that comes from succeeding at the above challenges so you would not have any other job because no other pursuit makes your day go as fast, hones you skills as sharp and totally occupies your intellect.

1. you should have good knowledge related to that business whatever business you want to start.
2. you should know how to deal with clients.
3. how to manage a business.
4. you need to strong start up so that your business grow fastly.

Apart from this you should have certain skills to grow up your business .
  • Financial management. Being able to effectively manage your finances is critical.
  • Marketing, sales and customer service.
  • Communication and negotiation.
  • Leadership.
  • Project management and planning.
  • Delegation and time management.
  • Problem solving.
  • Networking.

I also think it's important to be able to let go. You see too many small business owners scale up, and struggle to hand off decisions and responsibilities to their team.
I agree. I understand that as a small business owner, its hard to let go of micromanaging because your business is your baby. It's hard to imagine anyone else doing a better job if they weren't there with you in the beginning. But if you're not willing to let go, and if you don't trust the people you hire to take over some of the responsibilities from you, growth is going to be extremely painful.

Optimism - it is easy to be optimistic when things are going great, but it is VERY difficult to stay optimistic when things look hopeless. And considering most business owners will go though rough patches, learning how to stay optimistic when everything seems to go against you is a very important skill to master.

With that in mind, most people are not eternal optimists, so you have to:
  • Force yourself to always look for "good" in bad
  • Be aware of your body language (your employees and customers are watching you carefully)
  • Focus on things you can control (don't waste time/energy on what you cannot control)
Most of these actions won't come naturally to you (when under stress), so training yourself to stay optimistic is a difficult, but priceless skill to master.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think as a manager, no matter what you are managing, you should be clear about what managing means in first place and this is to make decisions. And because making decisions is the baseline you should watch out how to improve that skill first. So, the first skill I would acquire here is to learn to think very clear and analytical and after that, I would learn to think more in advance. I would learn about the many biases in human thinking and more about psychology, in general, to understand how other people think and make their decisions.

There are a lot of skills that you have to acquire in managing a small business. If we`ll have to choose the most difficult five from our list, on my mind it will be:
-Stay focus on big picture
(Being swamped by the small details there is a possibility that you will lose sight the real goals of your company. A good business owner have to develop the ability of future vision, that is essential for long term success.)
-Keep the balance between work and family
(Don`t take your business problem at home, it`s going to grow into a bigger problem with your family.
Family is at home and the all business should be at office.)
-Customer focus
(Always pay attention to your customers , that in fact pay your bill.)
-Stay motivated
(All of your efforts, time and energy are used for work, so it`s up to you to keep calm and stay motivated)
-Leadership
(If you want to get the best from your staff, you have to know how to motivate them, to keep them focus on work)

5. GROWING to crave the satisfaction that comes from succeeding at the above challenges so you would not have any other job because no other pursuit makes your day go as fast, hones you skills as sharp and totally occupies your intellect.
I like this point on "growing", it fees inspiring to have a job that feels the same way.