1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Welcome to the BizWarriors Forum!
Why not join our community?

Stop! Time Out!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slique, Mar 19, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Slique

Slique Member

Sometimes when you get to doing something that you love or find important the time seems to gallop. Too much of anything though can be detrimental. I believe we should include breaks in our work schedule in order to relax a bit and refuel for the next round.

What do you think and if you break in between your work, what do you find most helpful to you?

2. Valerie

Valerie Member

I concur. Many organizations are realizing this and trying to get their workers to at least move around the office and get blood circulating through their bodies. Taking breaks and micro-naps have been proven increase productivity and promote healthier lifestyles.

To quote the movie Legally Blonde, "Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don't shoot their husbands, they just don't."

3. Valerie Hart

Valerie Hart MVP

@Slique I try to get outside and get fresh air since I find myself inside most of the day. The other night I realized I had not seen the night sky in what must be months. The good thing is I have a dog that loves being outside, so I am able to take a break from work to take him on a walk - getting air and exercise before hitting the books again. I have come across this Huffington Post article on my Facebook feed multiple times. It also suggests getting out and moving.

One of the suggestions that shocks me is vacationing regularly. I think this applies to more to business workers not taking advantage of their given vacation days. As entrepreneurs, we do not have as much flexibility in taking time off. However, I do think you need to plan time for yourself, your family, and unplugging yourself from work for a weekend when you are planning out your work week.

djbaxter likes this.
  4. Adrianna Nine

Adrianna Nine MVP Member

I'll admit I'm not very consistent about this, but I love journaling at the end of the day. It doesn't have to be some long, eloquent entry -- it can be a short list of what I did that day or what I learned, for example. No matter what, though, I like to point out at least two positive things that occurred that day, whether it was a stranger paying for my coffee, receiving praise at work, or meeting someone new.

Edit: I know this isn't a mid-day thing (though it could be). But it's still super helpful when it comes to reflecting on what has just occurred, rather than waiting until the end of the week/month/year, as too many of us do.

5. Brad Young

Brad Young Member

Exercise, either before work - at lunchtime or immediately after. But I also like time to reflect and take breaks inbetween particularly stressful meetings, emails or calls. I can't tell you how many times I've come up with a good idea outside of the office because I wrote it down; "the faintest ink is better than the strongest memory".

6. azgold

azgold Moderator MVP Member

I get up away from the computer and do something else, outside if possible. Otherwise, my eyes and brain become mush.

7. Vanhook

Vanhook Member

If you are generally working on something that requires great concentration, in order for you not to suffer from attention residue, I recommend Cal Newport's latest book Deep Work.

Here's what he has to say on breaks: On Deep Breaks - Study Hacks - Cal Newport