I recently came across this awesome post by Billy Murphy a former poker pro who talks about why entrepreneurship is the most sensible career choice for anyone who's hungry for more than the traditional 9-5 job.

Main takeaways of the article are:
  • Betting on yourself (i.e. becoming an entrepreneur) isn't a gamble. Sometimes you’ll win, other times you learn.
  • When you work for yourself, your upside is uncapped. When you work for someone else there’s always a limit on the amount you can earn and do.
  • Your success in business is the result of the sum of your decisions or lack thereof over the course of your career. The more you’re willing to risk, the more you stand to gain.
  • Opportunities are never hard to find, it’s just that you see a lot more of them when you’ve played the game before.

Adam Toren

Administrator
I recently came across this awesome post by Billy Murphy a former poker pro who talks about why entrepreneurship is the most sensible career choice for anyone who's hungry for more than the traditional 9-5 job.

Main takeaways of the article are:
  • Betting on yourself (i.e. becoming an entrepreneur) isn't a gamble. Sometimes you’ll win, other times you learn.
  • When you work for yourself, your upside is uncapped. When you work for someone else there’s always a limit on the amount you can earn and do.
  • Your success in business is the result of the sum of your decisions or lack thereof over the course of your career. The more you’re willing to risk, the more you stand to gain.
  • Opportunities are never hard to find, it’s just that you see a lot more of them when you’ve played the game before.

Yes, love this! Being a poker player myself along with my brother Matthew we couldn't agree more with this analogy.
In fact, my bro wrote a post a while back: What Bluffing, Folding and Betting Can Teach You About Entrepreneurship.

1. You a€™re always playing the long game.
2. Need to be able to Execute decisions under pressure.
3. The talkers get knocked out quick.
4. Sometimes the odds beat you.
5. Have a support system.

JohnHolling

Serial entrepreneur, Investor, Mentor
When you work for yourself, your upside is uncapped. When you work for someone else there’s always a limit on the amount you can earn and do.

Great article @Danny Schaffer Thanks for sharing it! The quote above is probably my primary reason for being an entrepreneur. And the upside is not just financial but quality of life. I can't fathom working hard to build another person's dream without truly sharing in the rewards or having any control over my own destiny.

Would love to hear from those who are not sure about taking the leap to entrepreneurship. What's holding you back, and what kind of help do you need?

Cheers!
John

Top Bottom