Starting My Own Business and I Feel Very Confused

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

MiaJ

I have searched through the forum for some tips and searched the internet, but I am still left with some questions. I plan on opening a brick and mortar retail store in Pennsylvania.

I understand that I need to get a business license, but in order to get a business license, I need to first sign the lease since my business is a brick and mortar. After I get my license I need to get my EIN and insurance and a business bank account. Since it is a retail store I also need to get a sales license. After all of this, I don't know what my next step would be. In the beginning, I would be the only one working so I don't need to worry about hiring anyone and if I did they would only be working part-time so I don't think I need to worry about giving them any benefits which make things a little easier. But what other documents do I need to fill out? It seems there are so many forms to fill out that I don't even know about, I am going to mess it up.

I need to fill out a form to pay sales tax, and I need to pay the IRS the money I collected. (I don't know how to do that.) I will have a cash register that can keep track of the sales tax for me so I know how much to give the IRS. I just don't know when and how.

I know I am probably forgetting some of these forms that I need to fill out. Is there any way to simplify this? Or someone who can tell me what exactly I need to do?

I don't want to make any mistakes that will get me in trouble with the IRS or government. So I am grateful for any help that I can get. I heard getting a mentor is a great idea but I may not be able to find one. If I don't fill out the necessary forms besides the ones I stated above, or if I fill them out too late because I didn't know about it will I get penalized?

I am sorry about all of these questions but I just feel really overwhelmed and confused. Thank you in advance.

ckyap

Break it down, do one thing every day, pay for a business lawyer or advisor to check to make sure you have everything sorted out then keep the information safely in a folder and computer and just forget about that harrowing experience!

A helpful tip is to visit your local County Clerk and you Small Business Association. At the SBA, you can get free mentoring to help with any questions you have or gaps in the process you may see. And the County Clerk can tell you what you may be missing and have the paperwork to resolve it, since you can't just be legit in your state, but in your city ordinance as well.

VirtualGlobalPhone

One of the way to remove confusion while decision making is to consider that at no point of time the decision you are taking is going to be perfect. Its the imperfection moving towards prefect result.

Just look above at sky and observe the clouds. Do u see anything perfect pattern ? Its not.... yet cloud does its job perfect.

antokay

Learn from people within your niche. Look for groups you can join and ask for help when you're confused about what to do. Facebook group is the best place to interact with people in your niche.

Learn from people within your niche. Look for groups you can join and ask for help when you're confused about what to do. Facebook group is the best place to interact with people in your niche.
I can agree to this. Also, LinkedIn groups are a great place to network out that kind of thing, and sending out feelers for what works for other business owners.