Start a business

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:1)

djbaxter

Administrator
I don't think there is a best time of life, other than when you feel ready to do it and have the resources to do it.

There may be good and not so good times to start a particular business in a particular area based on local and global economic trends, though.

Are you thinking about starting a specific business?

I will agree with djbaxter! No one can tell you when the right time is going to come. Most of the times we are too scared to start because the vision we have seems to be unattainable, but I am a firm believer that hard work can beat talent, so I will suggest figure out the financial side of things and start making progress as soon as possible. Don't be like me- too scared of failure to even try. That's embarrassing to admit, but it's the truth! I see more and more young people that have created ginormous careers and make hundreds sometimes millions of dollars. I often find myself asking how did they accomplish their desires meanwhile I am at the same spot I was a year ago, and the only answer I can give is that they just started working towards their goal.
Wow, I feel like I am having a therapy session, sorry for that!:D

Do you mind sharing what you have in mind?

VirtualGlobalPhone

MVP
Hello Jacob Hawkins ; Rather than asking what age or what time , i rather recommend you to ask "What values i can add add into this world with this startup" will give you much larger wings to fly.

Small to Feds

MVP
Top Contributor
I spent 20 years in the Military Industrial Complex learning to hate my job.

At the outside, at the 15 year point (mid career) one should decide whether one is content continuing in a current line of work or make a change to a field that better fits ones value system and/or start one's own enterprise.

That is where the trade off must occur between all the baggage accumulated (economic and otherwise) and the continued aggravation.

I waited too long before switching to a small business consulting enterprise and ultimately volunteer work.

I advise younger people to look closely at their mid-career milestone.

ODYSSEY OF ARMAMENTS

Hey Jacob Hawkins,

I'd say the best time is when you have the flexibility to start your business without the burden of needing to make a quick profit.

Maybe that's during college (when I started my web firm)
Maybe that's after a few years in the workforce (when you have savings you can live off of for a year)
Maybe that's after you retire (and you don't need the income. It's just a nice to have)

Ultimately, in my opinion, the best time to start a business is when you won't have to compromise on what you know is best for the long-term because you need money in the short term.

There is actually no right time to start a business. Like they say there is no right time for you to wait for, you gotta take the chance and be ready to face the risk. That is what a part of Entrepreneurship is about "Taking Risks"

In simple words we can say that there is no age to start a business. You can simply read the story of Colonel Sanders the owner of KFC. His story will make you clear about anything regarding age factor for business.

Starting a business is alike to starting a good relation; the good time to start a business is when you have the time to assign your awareness to it.

This isn’t to say that there's anything mistake with starting a part-time business or starting a business when you are still working at a job. Person have similar energy levels and different capacity.

It’s just to suggest that to give yourself the best shot at starting a business, you have to be able to cornerstone on it.

In simple words we can say that there is no age to start a business. You can simply read the story of Colonel Sanders the owner of KFC. His story will make you clear about anything regarding age factor for business.
I totally agree with that, there's no right time as long you have all the knowledge about the business and one have the starting capital then anyone can start.

there isn't any ideal time to start your business...however you do need strong conviction to start your business. but that alone won't be enough so you need a solid idea like a consumer problem that needs to be solved and a believe that you can come up with such a solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say start a business when you're ready to legitimately commit to it. Set up a business plan, get organized, and before you actually spend your money, really get your stuff together. If you can get that far, maybe you're ready. :)

When is the best time in your life to start a business?
If you have to ask, it's not time yet. Djbaxter does make a good point about economic conditions, and Chiedo has as well. But, like others, I think you are asking for personal reasons, and castlekeeper has done an excellent job of addressing this point.
I tried starting a business many years ago, but was only doing it to make extra money. When you have found something you are interested in, and you believe in it strongly enough to do what needs to be done, then it's time.