1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Business or Entrepreneurial questions or obstacles? BizWarriors is completely FREE - paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to the BizWarriors Forum, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Snap's rollout of spectacles is on another level!

Discussion in 'General Business and Entrepreneurship' started by Nunzio Presta, Dec 2, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Nunzio Presta

Nunzio Presta Member

I've been amazed by how quietly, yet impactful and creative Snap (PKA "Snapchat") has been with their rollout of Spectales (their entry product into the wearable technology game). Check out my recent LinkedIn publication here.

Would love to get your thoughts!

NP

2. Josephine Stuart

Josephine Stuart MVP Member

Hi @Nunzio Presta, this is a fun read, but you don't mention at all what Spectacles are. You rely on the video to do so instead.

Nunzio Presta likes this.
  3. Adrianna Nine

Adrianna Nine MVP Member

@Nunzio Presta ,

This has the potential to become a very interesting read. It's a topic few are very familiar with (as you said, Snapchat's rollout has been very quiet) and many are fascinated by. Here are a few pointers:

-Make sure you edit your articles for grammar and spelling before you publish. I'm assuming you're writing these articles to build trust, rapport, and an audience -- but it's much harder to build any of those things if people don't think you can properly spell. If grammar and spelling aren't your strong suit (which is totally okay!), then ask a friend or assistant to edit for you.

-Like @Josephine Stuart mentioned, all videos and photos should be supplemental. Don't make your readers plug in their headphones or invest an extra 2-3 minutes in what's meant to be a quick read to find out what you're talking about. You do a great job of comparing Spectacles to Google Glass -- but you only mention price. What other features make these devices different? Style? Ability? Accessibility?

-When you're trying to engage your audience, end the article with a more interactive question. "Let me know what you think" doesn't inspire any sort of thought in your readers. Instead, ask, "Which would you rather buy: Spectacles or Google Glass?" Questions like "Do you plan on trying out Snapchat Spectacles?" and "What extra features would you like to see in tech wearables?" will prompt your readers to think hard and respond to your article.

I'm sure I speak for everyone on the forum when I say I'm eager to read your future pieces!

4. Nunzio Presta

Nunzio Presta Member

Apologizes - they are glasses that capture real moments. The glasses are integrated with your snapchat app in order to engage in real time sharing. It is their first attempt in the wearable space.

5. Nunzio Presta

Nunzio Presta Member

Thanks for the feedback, however, point 1?? Can you point out my mistakes. Thanks.

6. Nunzio Presta

Nunzio Presta Member

@Adrianna Nine I see it now: Spectales should be Spectacles!! Hope no one judges for missing a "c", and yes I can spell perfectly fine. Just a tiny little mistake.

Have a great day.

NP

7. VirtualGlobalPhone

VirtualGlobalPhone Moderator MVP Member

Good article @Nunzio Presta ; as an entrepreneur i look at a learning curve... the take away of this article is - "we should study how these major brand induces other add-on at right time as value addition to the whole brand. Which takes the brand by itself to whole new level.

And attractive thing is about the price ... a fan of snapchat will surely don't mind spending another 50 USD additional on a regular commodity for new and attractive feature.

More like tinkering that curiosity of the existing user and pulling more new crowds.

8. Josephine Stuart

Josephine Stuart MVP Member

This is really cool! Sounds like a fun Christmas gift, actually. Can you only buy them from the drop-in vending machines?

9. Adrianna Nine

Adrianna Nine MVP Member

I can't exactly do a full edit for you, but here are some areas that either contain grammar mistakes or could just be improved upon. (I've had to highlight things in red, because it doesn't seem that the forum has a strikethrough option.)

"I've been amazed by how quietly, yet impactful and creative Snap (PKA is this supposed to be AKA, or is this a real acronym? "Snapchat") has been with their rollout of Spectacles (their entry product into the wearable technology game).

First, they positioned their new glasses as a"toy", which immediately differentiated itself from Google Glass. The price point for Spectacles starts at $130 (which is 10x less than Google Glass) which would justify it being in the toy category, so it makes sense.

Second, they created Snapbots - an unorthodox way of selling. It's basically a vending machine that is dropped at random locations which attracts Snap enthusiast in flocks from everywhere in order to get their hands on these Spectacles. Obviously, Snap is documenting these events in order to market and create more demand in order to continue selling more Spectacles each day. Check out this video here:

In anticipation of Snap's IPO, Spectacles may not be big business for them, but showcasing their viral and creative marketing prowess and success has turned a ton of heads and started a ton of conversations that investors like. Seeing the power behind how Snap can get a product to market and demand attention of its users is extremely important, especially in a business world where consumer attention is a scarce commodity. I am very optimistic about the plans and vision Snap has and I am extremely excited to see where things go.

Let me know what you think."

10. Nunzio Presta

Nunzio Presta Member

@Adrianna Nine - nice edits!

FYI (for your information) PKA = "previously known as". Also, let me know if you are looking for work since you have a ton of time on your hands! My company is currently hiring.

Chat soon.

NP

11. Nunzio Presta

Nunzio Presta Member

Thanks for the comment!!

12. Nunzio Presta

Nunzio Presta Member

Correct. They are randomly distributing the product via these vending machines.

13. Adrianna Nine

Adrianna Nine MVP Member

I can't believe I hadn't heard of "PKA," but now that I know about it, I'm sure I'll be using it all the time. Thanks! :)

As tempted as I usually am to take on additional projects, I actually have zero time on my hands -- I just like jumping on the forum here and there to see if there's anything I can contribute. I'm not an entrepreneur, but I do like to write and edit. :) But thank you so much!

14. Nunzio Presta

Nunzio Presta Member

We all learn something new every day.

I wish you all the best.

NP

15. becca

becca Member

Wow! So cool! Thanks for sharing these with us I wouldn't have known about it before!