Skype for business

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:6)

We have installed Microsoft Skype for Business in our systems. I was thinking that it would be helpful to reduce the cost and improve the communication of our business. Also, I read some more benefits of this application here 5 Reasons To Use Microsoft Skype For Business | ThinkTel. But after installation, I was met with some problems. It seems like the voice quality is not good as my expectation. I don't know whether it is due to internet issues or the skype for business application. If there are some other tips to improve this, please share them with me. Is it possible to disable Skype for Business from automatically starting up? Please help me with your replies. Thank you.

djbaxter

Administrator
after installation, I met with some problems. It seems like the voice quality is not good as my expectation. I don't know whether it is due to the internet issues.
Audio and video quality is dependent upon the hardware (camera, microphone, CPU speed, amount of RAMN, etc.) at both ends of the conversation, as well as atmospherics due to changing weather systems and the quality of your ISP. You can maximize these factors at your end but that still wouldn't guarantee good Skype performance if factors were suboptimal for the party at the other end.

Is it possible to disable Skype for Business from automatically starting up?
Yes. Download Autoruns for Windows (free download from Microsoft). Run as administrator. Find the entry for Skype and uncheck it to stop it loading automatically at Windows Startup.

Adam Toren

Administrator
@ianjames Thanks for your question regarding Skype for Business.

@djbaxter's suggestions were great!

Regarding: Is it possible to disable Skype for Business from automatically starting up?

• Yes you will be able to. Follow these step-by-step instructions and it should work for you:
  • When you have Skype for Business open, simply click on the Gear Icon which you will find on the the right-hand side which will then open the Options dialog box or you can click and select Tools then Options
  • Once you have that open you can then click "Personal" from the left-hand panel.
    The Microsoft Lync Options dialog box for Personal will then show on the right-hand side of your screen.
  • You can now deselect Automatically start Skype for Business when I log on to Windows and Show Skype for Business in foreground when it starts under the My account section
  • You should then click on OK and you should be all set.
Let me know if that took care of it for you.

We had also installed Skype in our organization as a business communication platform. I agree to your point that voice quality in Skype can be disruptive sometimes and also Skype installation can cost a volume. We discontinued with Skype for the reasons and instead implemented EVA Communication Suite. It is one of the best business messenger platform we experienced. The call quality is excellent, easy two way chat, getting notifications, easy contact list management. EVA is restricted to be used within the enterprise and very cost effective. You may try it.

We don't use Skype for VOIP but we know someone who does. They seem to be happy with it mainly i believe because of the low cost of placing international calls. But there are alternatives which are probably better quality and privacy wise.

Comparison of VoIP software - Wikipedia

Those with blue box on "license" and "cost" tend to be the best.