djbaxter

Administrator
Why Should You Invest In An Entrepreneurship Degree?
by Ivan Widjaya, Noobpreneur.com
Feb 6, 2020

If you think you can start your business with just an idea and no concrete research and knowledge, you can be in for a shock. From dealing with investors, enticing venture capitalists, handling irate bureaucrats, developing effective promotional strategies and building an attractive website, you need to be trained in all the essentials tenets of management to run an entire business.

Choosing a business degree that give you a broad overview of all management essentials, can help you cope up with any type of issues cropping up in establishing your business. If you are interested in starting your own business, then majoring in entrepreneurship can be a good idea.

There are many degrees catering to different branches of business such as marketing or accounting. However, choosing an entrepreneurial course over these subjects can be helpful in the following ways.

1. It is more comprehensive than other business degrees
Business specializations such as finance, human resource management or business administration focus on specific branches of the business domain. On the other hand, entrepreneurship degrees can provide a bird’s eye view of the entire field. If you don’t want to select your specialization at the start of your career, this course can help you out.

2. It provides you opportunities for gaining work experience
Most entrepreneurship courses can require you to complete an industry project or business internship to help you gain appropriate work experience before your graduation. This early insight into the business industry can help you assess what it can be like to start your own business.

3. It keeps you up-to-date with the latest business trends
In order to effectively run your business, you should know the latest business trends and industry-best practices. This course can teach you how to stay updated on the latest business news concerning your work domain and keep up with the dynamic business world. This can, in turn, help your business stay relevant.

4. It improves your communication skills
If you want to make your business venture successful, you need to have confidence and the ability to be spontaneous in public settings. Good communication skills are required for charming potential investors and clients, handle difficult stakeholders or manage conflicts within the organization. This course can improve your communication and public speaking skills that can help you be prepared for any corporate setting.

Read more...

PatrickM

The best learning for entrepreneurship is become one. Entrepreneurs are doers rather than knowers.

Rather use the money to start your first business. The path will be tough, you will learn from your mistakes and any knowledge that you think you need along the way you need will be available for free online.

Link up with like minded people in forums or masterminds and you will learn a lot more useful stuff than in a classroom.

Good luck!

djbaxter

Administrator
I don't disagree but a business program such as those describe above may help to prevent some predictable errors that you might not anticipate.

Going into entrepreneurship "blind" means you will learn by trial and error, and some would argue that's the best way to learn anyway.

But what if you could predict the common errors and avoid them, especially when those errors can often cost you money or, worse, lead to the failure of a business?

That doesn't necessarily require a business degree per se, of course. You can also self-educate (homeschool) using online courses, forums like this one, and reading a lot of books and resources on the topic.

Some of the online courses are even free. See

The best learning for entrepreneurship is become one. Entrepreneurs are doers rather than knowers.

Rather use the money to start your first business. The path will be tough, you will learn from your mistakes and any knowledge that you think you need along the way you need will be available for free online.

Link up with like minded people in forums or masterminds and you will learn a lot more useful stuff than in a classroom.

Good luck!
From what I have seen in interviewing some of the Degreed candidates is they are typically taught by those with little to NO personal experience. Same with MBAs

I agree with Ivan and Patrick in different ways. I'm a fan of bootstrapping and figuring things out yourself, but lately I've enrolled in a graduate program and I see the value that university connections, facilities, and like-minded individuals have provided.

I like learning through podcasts, online resources, and trying things but I've learned proven techniques in market analysis, financial modeling, and what it takes to find customers and other important discovery activities.

I'm a big fan of Steve Blank's model. Check this out if interested. And the Jobs-To-Be-Done framework and sheet is helpful as well.

Attachments

• JTBD-Canvas.pdf
    130.8 KB · Views: 0

Julia Sta Romana

Top Contributor
What I appreciated about having a bit of education (started my MBA, haven't finished it yet though) is it gave me some much needed context. It showed me a broader picture of how my decisions would affect the entire market and supply chain.

When you learn by doing, you only look at your immediate impact, making sales. But when you understand your impact, you start to see whether introducing a new service is sustainable or how you can maximize ROI on a big asset other than just the profit you can get from it.

Having a bit of knowledge helped open my eyes to new opportunities. I do admit though that sometimes it also left me paralyzed with too many options. But that's just me because I do have a tendency to overthink things.

For me it is not necessary, i heard a lot of successful entrepreneur that has been molded and sharpen by their experience. However, it is advantage to invest a entrepreneurship degree.

Top Bottom