elchapetas

I wanted to ask if anybody knows and/or can pinpoint, how business, as a whole, is classified? Is it it's own category, or can it be considered a subset and a combination of formal, social and applied science?

djbaxter

Administrator
I think it would depend on the nature of the business.

For example, the marketing, promotion, and sale of a specific product might come under applied science.

Also the context of your question is unclear to me. Are you talking about college or university departments or areas of study? If so, generally different aspects of business would be subsumed under Commerce, Finance, Accounting, or Marketing, etc.

elchapetas

I mean the activity of business as a whole, can it all come down as a science?

For example, I made a small classification of such college departments:

Management
---Accounting
---Business Strategy
---Finance
---Marketing
---Organizational Behavior
---Operations

I think all of these are a combination of formal, applied and social science.

djbaxter

Administrator
OK. I don't think that's the first thing I would think of if I were to classify them but I suppose there's no single correct answer.

May I ask why this matters to you?

elchapetas

Can I ask what then, would you think of?

Im a multidisciplinarian researcher and I make use of classifications to see where everything fits and how disciplines interact with each other.

djbaxter

Administrator
For example, I made a small classification of such college departments:

Management
---Accounting
---Business Strategy
---Finance
---Marketing
---Organizational Behavior
---Operations

I didn't mean this part. That's fine. I meant the last part:

I think all of these are a combination of formal, applied and social science.

I don't really think of it as a science of any kind. I think it's its own category, Commerce:
  • Category: Science
  • Category: Arts
  • Category: Commerce (which could include economics)

Last edited:

elchapetas

Well, economics is a subset and a combination of social and applied science.

How would you describe the arts as part of business? I understand a lot of business can spring from artworks, but that would be more like commercializing art itself (that way anything could be business), not using art per se, to perform the functions of enterprise. Hmm... maybe advertisement?

I, guess, first, its important to define what business is, and personally, I define it as any exchange as means for profit.

Last edited:

djbaxter

Administrator
Well, economics is a subset and a combination of social and applied science.

I can accept that.

How would you describe the arts as part of business? I understand a lot of business can spring from artworks, but that would be more like commercializing art itself (that way anything could be business), not using art per se, to perform the functions of enterprise. Hmm... maybe advertisement?

I wouldn't. I tried to clarify my previous post above, but I meant Science, Arts, and Commerce as three separate categories.

elchapetas

Oh right, I misread your post, well, fair enough. Just 1 more thing, as its own category, if I can bug you about it, in your own words, what subcategories would compose it?

djbaxter

Administrator
Probably something along the lines of what you posted earlier:
  • Management
  • Marketing
  • Sales
  • Finance
  • Accounting
Optional:
  • Business Strategy
  • Organizational Behavior
  • Operations