1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Business or Entrepreneurial questions? BizWarriors is completely FREE - paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! You can now use your Facebook or Twitter account to regsiter or login. If you're new to the BizWarriors Forum, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about starting a clothing line

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jokerinred, Apr 14, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Jokerinred

Jokerinred Member

Hi everyone. So I'm planning on starting a clothing brand and am wondering if anyone had a ballpark number as to how much I should plan to spend to keep it going for the first year or so.

Also I'm new here and to forums in general so if I'm asking this in the wrong section or something just let me know

2. Adam Toren

Adam Toren Administrator Moderator Member

Hey @Jokerinred.

First off, welcome to the forum.
    As far as starting a clothing brand goes, there are a lot of things to consider.
    Are you launching your own brand?
    Are you manufacturing the clothing (sewing/creating yourself?)
    What type of clothing? Shirts, Pants, Jeans etc?
    Are you selling retail? Online? DropShipping?

Please try and provide as much detail as possible so we can do all we can to assist you with your clothing startup questions.

Cheers!

Adam

3. Jokerinred

Jokerinred Member

Thanks. and yeah that makes sense. So I do want to launch my own brand starting with t-shirts and hoodies and i was going to go from there.

Everything will be online at least at first. To be honest I'm not sure what dropshipping is.

I won't be manufacturing the clothes but will be coming up with the designs. I'm also somewhat of a rookie photographer so I may try to use that as long as I can make it look good being that I'm not an artist. Aside from the photography I do have ideas for designs but will need a way to get them out of my head and on to the clothing.

Also I want to be honest up front. I've had the idea of making a brand for a while and just recently started getting serious about it. I know very little about the industry and how it works but am looking forward to the process and to learning as much as I can.

P.s. I'm in the US if that helps at all

4. JohnHolling

JohnHolling Serial entrepreneur, Investor, Mentor Administrator Moderator Member

Hey @Jokerinred!

Great to have you here on the forum. You'll find a lot of experienced entrepreneurs here who want to help however possible.

Dropshipping is when you don't touch the merchandise at all. Your customer orders from you, and you order from a supplier who sends the items directly to your customer, usually with your labeling etc. So the customer has the impression the items are coming from you directly. It's a great way to optimize your time and streamline things, especially at the beginning of your business.

I recommend doing some serious research on dropshippers for custom clothing designs as well as other aspects of your industry. There's a ton of information out there for free if you don't mind doing the work to find it and pour through it all.

Doing you own photography is a fantastic idea, especially in this industry. Some of the most popular new, independent clothing brands are putting out marketing that's more hip and less formal, including images that look much more casual than you might get from a traditional photography firm.

Sounds like you're headed in the right direction. Here's the key to success... ready? Don't give up! You will run into obstacles and challenges. That is a guarantee. You'll get frustrated at times, and you will almost certainly feel like quitting. When that happens, take a step back, get some rest, talk with someone who can psych you up (like someone here on the BW forum!), and keep moving forward.

Best of luck to you!
    John

Adam Toren likes this.
  5. William Clements

William Clements Moderator Member

Bruno Moreira-Guedes likes this.
  6. E-Series

E-Series Member

Hi @Jokerinred,good to have your here :)
    I'll suggest you start with drop-shipping in your niche (t-shirts and hoodies).i know of 1 or 2 custom t-shirts and hoodies makers,you can easily create your design on their platform and they handle the ship out to your customers.
    Drop-ship basically is "a retail fulfillment method where a store doesn't keep the products it sells in stock. Instead, when a store sells a product, it purchases the item from a third party and has it shipped directly to the customer"
    you can consider to start with drop-ship for few months or a year to see how it goes.

i'll check the platforms you can dropship from later today.
    cheers

Bruno Moreira-Guedes likes this.
  7. @Jokerinred, first things first: welcome to the forum!!

As I've seen, you received a lot of insights about how to operate your business, and I don't have anything to sum up.

Yet I might put you some tricky questions that might make you critically think about your brand!
    • What's your brand's identity? What will it make your customers feel and look like?
    • And related to that, who is your customer? Imagine that John Smith is your customer. Describe him, tell me who he is (you might start thinking about his age, and whether he's really John or he's Mary, or they're both your customers, where does he lives, what him work for, what kind of clothes he or she wears, what's his lifestyle, preferences, political views, social status, etc, etc, etc - the more you think about John's personality, the more your brand's "personality" will be able to "connect" with John)!
    • And why did John Smith choose your clothes? Rather than "Brand X" ones?
    These are sample questions about what you should question yourself about your brand. They're not the only ones, just those that comes to my mind now. I hope it helps you in some way!!

8. Jokerinred

Jokerinred Member

Thanks and yeah I would love to know who the dropshippers are. I've looked at shopify mostly.