PTSD in Business

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:7)

Small to Feds

MVP
Top Contributor
Your guidance is very good for the commercial environment. An element that I have lived myself is war related PTSD and the dramatic impact the diagnosis can have on a career in business providing services to the multi-billion dollar federal government when a security clearance is involved.

By the time treatment for PTSD and Depression became available, I had such high security clearances that had I been treated for these disorders, the US Government would have revoked my clearances and my career would have ended or would have been sharply curtailed. It also impacts companies I counsel today and kept my firm out of classified programs.

We have a bit of a ways to go if we are entrepreneurial, a returning war fighter with PTSD and a motivated business owner seeking high tech classified service contracts. There are 81 comments by fellow PTSD sufferers on the following article:
Rose Covered Glasses: ODYSSEY OF ARMAMENTS

Your guidance is very good for the commercial environment. An element that I have lived myself is war related PTSD and the dramatic impact the diagnosis can have on a career in business providing services to the multi-billion dollar federal government when a security clearance is involved.

By the time treatment for PTSD and Depression became available, I had such high security clearances that had I been treated for these disorders, the US Government would have revoked my clearances and my career would have ended or would have been sharply curtailed. It also impacts companies I counsel today and kept my firm out of classified programs.

We have a bit of a ways to go if we are entrepreneurial, a returning war fighter with PTSD and a motivated business owner seeking high tech classified service contracts. There are 81 comments by fellow PTSD sufferers on the following article:
Rose Covered Glasses: ODYSSEY OF ARMAMENTS
First, thank you so much for your service. Second, thank you so much for trying to make a place for PTSD vets in the business world. Finally, I am thrilled that you feel the advice I give is helpful. While I struggle from non-military PTSD and recognize the illness has many different twists to it I feel that these tips can go a long way to helping all sufferers move forward.

Many of us might have gone through stress and anxiety at some point of time or the other. These mental issues can be a result of life events, personality, genetics and brain chemistry. Anxiety Disorders are treatable but only 37% of them get the treatment at the right time. Whether you are facing anxiety/PTSD or going through some stressful situations, coping up with such situation is a paramount to come on top and live your life to the best. Here are 3 tips to cope up with PTSD/Anxiety:
  • Mindful Meditation: When things start becoming stressful, meditation is an excellent way to calm yourself. To meditate doesn't mean to sit on the ground and chant a long 'ommmmmm'. The practice of mindful meditation is to sit anywhere comfortably and focus on your breathing and diverting your mind to the present leaving the worries of past or future.
  • Indulge Yourself in something Creative: Various studies reveal that people who indulge themselves in creative interests be it music, dance, art or expressive writing, experience less of the negative emotions. This helps the people to express themselves in a way they find interesting which results in releasing their frustration and negative emotions in a unique way.
  • Share Your Emotions: Staying silent and facing PTSD/anxiety alone is the worst thing. Instead, find a friend, a family member or a professional to speak out your emotions in order to cope up.

VirtualGlobalPhone

MVP
MillennialMotivator , big fan of you man. Keep engaging with awesome topic like this. Its absolutely true of what you put it across int he video. My take, its very very difficult to have one clear way to handle.

eWomenNetwork , although the suggestions is very good. But the issue with PTSD is, they cant do what you suggested consistently.
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) symptoms are emotional, Avoidance, Negative, Stressful and many more. That's the reason they have PTSD hope you got it.

I am new here, and I come from a Humanities background. Mental health is talked about so much in my field, and we wonder why other spheres fail to recognize the importance and fragility of mental health. So it's very encouraging to see this on a biz forum. This is a great initiative. Congrats on your chosen path and for sharing your experience.

It is also lovely to see good, thoughtful responses to your post. I know a lot of discussion spaces that would have dismissed or trolled this.
Anyhow, thanks for the great post! :)