Have you seen the latest article on Entrepreneur? Erik Huberman, the CEO and founder of Hawke Media, is making me feel very small right about now, although he has a few years on me.
What particular skill do you feel most helped you scale your agency at such a young age?

Huberman: Getting things done. I have consistently noticed that people who execute and continue to complete tasks at a rapid pace tend to have a much higher chance of success. I would put together a list of all of the things I had to do, and as things came up I would add them to the list immediately. As I completed the items on the list, I would check them off. It sounds simple, but I was obsessed with completing tasks.

This makes me think. How do you challenge yourself and your business to continue to thrive? Do you follow a list of tasks? Do you have a personal reward system? Personally, I have a daily planner with each task organized by priority.

djbaxter

Administrator
Personally, I have a daily planner with each task organized by priority.

That's basically my system too, although it's flexible - something new that's more urgent will get bumped to the top of the list.

There's another factor that goes into it for me: I prioritize the to-do list and start with the top item, and then ask the question, "Can I make progress toward completing this task today or even complete it today?".

1. If yes, then proceed with that task... AND focus exclusively on that task. Don't let yourself get sidetracked or start getting distracted by other tasks on the list or how long the list is... give the task you're on your total focus. Otherwise, it's too easy to start chasing your tail in circles or becoming paralyzed because you feel overwhelmed by all of the things you need to do.

2. If no (e.g., you need more information, or a piece that someone else needs to get to you, or some technology or software), then move down the list to the next item, ask the same question, and proceed as in #1.

The reality is that none of us can really multitask. We just jump from one thing to another really quickly giving the illusion of multitasking, but if we allow too much of that we don't progress on anything.

Top Bottom