James2021

Hi all,

I have just came across your network and thought I’d reach out to see if anyone has any ideas or suggestions for possible business investment.

I am Irish and have been living between Sydney and Ireland since I received permanent residency here 4 years ago. In 2009 I established my own limited liability company and in 2012, when my dad retired, i took over as Managing Director and majority shareholder of his company, which was established in 1985.

These companies imports, processes, stores and wholesales bituminous and smokeless coal, as well as Liquefied Petroleum gas, across the U.K. and Ireland.

The Irish government is in process of eliminating the sale of bituminous coal throughout the country due to air pollution concerns and climate change.

Bituminous coal accounts for 90% of annual coal sales due to its low ash content, high heat output and relatively low cost. Smokeless coal, although more environmentally friendly, is seen by many consumers as a poor alternative due to its higher cost, low calorific value and high ash contents. Many homes who find themselves in an area where bituminous coal is banned, are choosing other alternatives such as natural gas (if available), LPG gas, wood pellets, oil etc.

The most popular bituminous coal is sourced from Colombia as it satisfies the criteria needed for domestic consumption, as opposed to Australian coal which is predominately used for industrial electricity generation due to its high calorific output.

Ultimately, although classed as essential industries during covid, both the coal and LPG industries are in decline. LPG is becoming more obsolete as the network of natural gas pipelines expands.

Having decided to make Sydney my main place of residence, I am hoping to explore potential investment opportunities here in Australia, or within the Asia Pacific region, that will help future proof the companies and lead them to the next generation.

This includes exploring environmentally friendly alternatives to the products we offer that will meet the needs of the domestic consumer, and any other opportunities that could utilise and grow the companies current infrastructure, market and distribution networks, both in Australia and Europe.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

James

James2021

Thanks djbaxter. I haven’t been on one of these forums before and looking forward to getting to know the members and sharing ideas and suggestions

VirtualGlobalPhone

Top Poster Of Month
The biggest market for coal and its derivative is India , China, Srilanka to name a few ... but its highly competitive and restricted commodity in most of the country including the above giants.

Best wishes for your venture.

Top Bottom