Business or Entrepreneurial questions? BizWarriors is completely FREE - paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! You can now use your Facebook or Twitter account to regsiter or login. If you're new to the BizWarriors Forum, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need some advice on what to do next

Discussion in 'Growing Your Business' started by VerticalScott, Jun 25, 2018.

Share This Page

1. VerticalScott

VerticalScott Member

Hello all!

New here and excited to seek some advice from the community.

I started a bookkeeping business 6 months ago that focuses on small businesses and have 3 clients. I need more clients at this point to fulfill my dream of working for myself and being a digital nomad. Unfortunately being nomadic has created some business growth issues. My main strategy was network marketing in Denver while I lived there for the past 6 months. Now, I've moved to rural MA on account of family and am at a loss for what to do next...

There is a rotary club and some local small business that I've thought about walking into and introducing myself to, but other than that I don't know how to proceed.

My business is technically nationwide and will begin to invest my time more into content marketing to improve my website SEO, but after that what should I do? Where should I reinvest my earnings? Everything seems to point to more marketing, what do you think?

2. mfawcett

mfawcett MVP

Hey Scott,

How about joining the local Chamber of Commerce? It seems like that would be ideal networking!

Content marketing is one thing I'm doing as well. If there's one tip I can give on that, is find reputable blogs that accept guest posts and post there. That is a way to get your name out there, and it's better if they provide a short bio with a link to your website. That is one of the "white hat" ways to improve your SEO.

djbaxter likes this.
  3. djbaxter

djbaxter Administrator Moderator Member

Also start a Facebook page and promote that on Facebook. Post links from your content to Twitter and Facebook as well.

4. VirtualGlobalPhone

VirtualGlobalPhone Moderator MVP Member

Have you thought of classical grass route level marketing .. ?

Take the google map draw a circle of 10KM radius around your place ... start from east sweep through block by block with a target of meeting just 10 people a day. Just a simple intro and knowing how you can help them. By the time you finish the whole 10KM you will be either surprised or astonished with outcome...

Try and let us know ...

Edvin and djbaxter like this.
  5. djbaxter

That's not a bad idea.

A similar option would be to look for any and all other local networking opportunities in your community, not just the larger formal ones like Chamber of Commerce.

6. Edvin

Edvin MVP Member Top Contributor

I want to share a recent experience...

I called a local bookkeeping/accounting firm (via bank referral) to get some direction on how to best manage my business.

The first thing the accounting firm said was "we charge $300 per hour, would you like to make an appointment". They didn't even give me a chance to ask about the process, duration, taxes, how much of their time I will need, etc. Was this going to be a perpetual service!

Frustrated with experience I called local Small Business Development Center (SBDC) for some direction. SBDC set me up with a consultant to guide me and help me setup my QuickBooks without extra charge. Given this referral process, I can easily become a future client of consultant; but, I won't be the customer of the firm that was eager on making appointments with no info.

Having said that, you may want to lookup public records that recently incorporated and contact owners and offer free consultation, which can lead to future business.

Good luck.

djbaxter likes this.
  7. VerticalScott

VerticalScott Member

That's not a bad idea Edvin thanks for your input!

djbaxter likes this.
  8. Joelhuang22

Joelhuang22 Member

Hi Scott, I guess you know already, but let me tell still that if you got 3 clients that trust you, 300 are not difficult either. I know what you mean. Marketing is such a puzzle that its so important to put the pieces right or you're building the blocks for ever without being able to form any shape. I think that the first and most important thing to do before you do any marketing is to identify whether or not your marketing promise is resonating with your target audience. I can't tell how incredibly that transforms your overall impact, lead flow and sales. Can you tell more about your business and the marketing message you're currently placing in your marketplace? I'd really love to help.

djbaxter likes this.
  9. Staggered

Staggered Member

There's a few routes you can go here. If you do live a rural community, odds are there are a lot of small businesses that could use your services, another is (as you stated) work on your SEO. I would lean towards using Google Adwords, and Facebook. Have you looked into any sort of radio advertising?

10. Hiren Patel

Hiren Patel Member

I will suggest few things:
    • List your business on google local search, it can generate few leads for you quickly.
      Make sure you add as much information as possible.
      • Ask your existing customers to leave review on your google local listing, this will boost confidence in people searching for your services near you. And help your local listing rank higher.
      • Build few citations for your business
    • As you are already thinking about investing in SEO that is good way for sure. Make sure your content is adding value or solving problems that your potential customer may be facing. e.g. How you can give better experience to your customers, note what Edvin wrote above about his experience with book keeping firm
    • I agree with Staggered about Paid campaigns. Start with very tight budget and exact match words first if you are using Adwords. Do not target very generic keywords like "Book Keeping firm" Rather add location or service areas you may be targeting. This may give you less traffic but very highly qualified leads.

Do same on Facebook, try to chose your audience very precisely and narrow them down as much as possible.
    • Join discussion forums about book keeping, accounting etc. Do not try to find business there, rather start helping community with your advice and experience.

This will help you in two ways, You will build reputation and eventually when you build trust in forum you can link your website to direct users to read more about what you suggested or offer them services.
    Hope this will be bit of help to you.
    Good Luck!

11. djbaxter

You can't "list your business on google local search". You can optimize yourself for local search in Google's search engine though.

Are you talking about Google My Business?