Move Wordpress To A New Host Or Server (with No Downtime)

djbaxter

Administrator
How to Move WordPress to a New Host or Server (with No Downtime)
WPBeginner.com
December 6th, 2016

Are you looking to move your WordPress site to a new host or different server? The biggest risk when migrating a website to a new server is data loss and potential downtime. In this step by step guide, we will show you how to properly migrate your WordPress site to a new host with no downtime.

...most WordPress hosting companies offer free migration services. If they don’t publicly state that, then all you have to do is ask. Usually it’s free, but some may charge a small fee.
However, the author also tells you how you can do it yourself in a 6-step sequence with illustrations:

Step 1: Choose Your New WordPress Host
Step 2: Set Up Duplicator for Easy Migration
Step 3: Import Your WordPress Site to Your New Host
Step 4: Change The Hosts File to Prevent Downtime
Step 5: Begin the Duplicator Migration Process
Step 6: Update Your Domain

We hope that this step by step guide helped you move WordPress to your new host with no downtime whatsoever. If you come across any issues with your WordPress migration, then check out our guide on the most common WordPress errors and how to fix them.
Read more...

azgold

MVP
I just did this actually, in October. I am no techy! Luckily, my new host migrated my site for me (free), even told me how to update the name servers and I think a lot of hosts will do that, if you can't yourself.

That wouldn't work for a VPS or dedicated server, of course.

Latest posts