Morning Person - Yes or No?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Leigh Steele

Administrator
I'm really curious about this topic and how it ties into small business ownership/being an entrepreneur. Do you consider yourself a "morning person"?
  • If so, why? Along the same lines, do you feel you are NOT a "night owl"?
  • If not, why? And, would you consider yourself a "night owl"?

djbaxter

Administrator
Most of my life I would have definitely said night person, NOT a morning person.

However, more recently I've become a bit of a mixture, since I started working only from home... and got a new cat.

Now I find I get up early (or Mindy ther Cat wakes me up early because she wants breakfast) and I find I am very productive in the mornings. But then by about 1 or 2 pm I need a nap, and then I tend to stay up late and the cycle continues.

I had some significant medical issues 2014 to 2016 and I think being in hospital several times and sometimes for extended stays may be partially responsible for changing my sleep-wake cycle. These days, I seem to have trouble staying alseep for more than about 4 hours at a stretch.

Leigh Steele

Administrator
djbaxter I'm sorry to hear about your health issues. It is interesting, however, how those sparked some changes in your routine. It also reminds me of some of the research that shows that working in short blocks - and actually sleeping in short bursts vs. all night - can boost productivity in some people. It's all about alternative sleep cycles. I'll post the infographic link here as it's really fascinating!
4 Alternative Sleeping Cycles That You Didn't Know About [infographic]

VirtualGlobalPhone

MVP
Leigh Steele , Morning person with a "small" break for nap / rest either before or after lunch and encourage others also.

The reason being , that's natural!!

Rest all method is kind of tweaking to meet the ends meet ; that's unnatural ...

Having said that greatest gift of Entrepreneur and business owners id the "Free Will", so some times literally take very easy and become couch potato or extreme like insomniac.

I am not a morning person, but at the same time I don't consider myself as a night owl. But for me afternoon seems the perfect time to work on my projects. Plus I love to sleep. So it's confusing :D

Historically I'm a night owl but for past 6 months been trying to get up by 6AM. Reason being is I'm trying to take advantage of my daily "energy cycles" and found I'm more productive getting up early to work than staying up late to work (ie working til 11PM/midnight). I found that between 2:00-2:30PM (+/- 15mins) is the lowest energy point during my day. I don't nap but I do plan for "brainless" activities that I tackle when I start feeling sluggish. By 3pm, I'm back at it in full-force.

Leigh Steele

Administrator
I am not a morning person, but at the same time I don't consider myself as a night owl. But for me afternoon seems the perfect time to work on my projects. Plus I love to sleep. So it's confusing :D
Yes, it can be confusing can't it!? It seems that more and more people are recognizing that the traditional work day/work hours and traditional sleep cycles aren't a one-size-fits-all!

Leigh Steele

Administrator
NMarkovich It's so great that you'v'e been able to really pinpoint your productive hours as well as your least productive hours. Sounds like you have a recipe for success!

I am definitely a morning person. I love the clean air and quiet at early hours. I don't really work until 10 or so, but the early hours really set the tone. I go for a run and stretch after. I eat good breakfast, shower, and then get down to work (which is finishing my PhD proposal)

Leigh Steele

Administrator
laugh There really is something to the quietude of those early hours, I agree. It sort of feels like immense possibility, ya know?
Keep at it and good luck with your PhD proposal!

I am both. I can wake up at 5am without alarm, but sometimes I don't sleep at night and then sleep until 3pm

I study better after midnight and work less anxiously in the pre dawn than the daytime. Getting things done naturally requires an early worm start while the night quiet air seems to clear the mind for research. I wouldn't research anything over a cup of coffee at the breakfast table!