Marketing with Content Curation

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

djbaxter

Administrator
Feeling stymied about what to write for your website? Content curation may be the answer...

"Content curation is the process of gathering information relevant to a particular topic or area of interest." ~ Wikipedia

7 Ways to Take Content Curation to the Next Level
By Rafay Saeed Ansari, WP Mayor
March 1st, 2017

Contrary to popular belief, sharing high-quality content from external sources on your website has major advantages. This is partly because the sheer amount of content published every day on the Internet is enormous. There’s way too much content out there for readers to go through. What users do instead is they rely on websites that have done the work for them by sharing quality content on their site.In simple English, content curation is all about gathering high-quality content (that’s relevant to your niche) and publishing it to your site in a digestible format...

So how can curating content help you grow your business? Here’s how:
  • Helps you establish a brand identity. Curating content from top-notch resources within your niche can help reinforce your brand identity. The type of content you publish on your site – whether it’s informative or fun – is a reflection of your business and the work you do.
  • Increases traffic to your site. Curated content opens up several paths to your site via search engines. This, in turn, means that your site receives more traffic and the chances of landing quality leads goes up manifold.
  • Speeds up content production. With content curation all you’re essentially doing is finding relevant content and publishing it on your site. This is significantly faster than having to write blog posts from scratch every day.
Read more...

Make sure you pay attention to Fair Use so you don't end up contravening copyright laws. That won't help your search rankings at all... you will likely end up with a penalty that will render your site virtually invisible on the net.

Vanhook

I love using this strategy to use content that's already out there to come up with new angles and ideas -- though I'd be careful doing it. Not just because of fair law, but because everyone is doing it might subtract from your brand values as you risk being labeled as a "me too" business.

I'd say a safe way of dealing with this matter is going way out of your way to create such a unique piece of content that while everyone in your audience would get value from it, your competitors wouldn't be able to copy themselves (think Casey Neistat for vlogging).

djbaxter

Administrator
If you add your own analysis and take on the topic, though, that adds to the value of the content, making that risk minimal.

JohnHolling

Serial entrepreneur, Investor, Mentor
Curating content or creating a content aggregator type site is a great idea. The key is to find a way to differentiate from all the others out there. Ask why someone would want to come to your site over another. What's in it for them? If you can come up with a unique approach or effectively target an underserved niche, it could be awesome!

Cheers!
John

djbaxter

Administrator
It's also a way to get people who already know your site to keep coming back.

I'm not sure I would recommend a site that's totally based on content curation. To me, it's more a strategy for adding to your site content.

MarcusLarson

I always get stuck when it comes to getting content out over making it.
How do I successfully get my content out so I can generate traffic?

djbaxter

Administrator
I always get stuck when it comes to getting content out over making it.
How do I successfully get my content out so I can generate traffic?
Write something interesting enough that people want to read it and/or quote it. Then use appropriate social media to promote it.

Have an opinion about. Promote that opinion. Let people agree or disagree with you.

The long-running Jim Rome Show (aka The Jungle), a sports radio talk show in the US, used to screen his callers with this mantra: "Have a take. Don't suck." That pretty much sums up how to use content to get traffic.

Tickto

Content curation means using existing content by others in your website with credit given to them. And I believe curated content works best with original content. What are the best ways to credit the original authors?

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe