1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Business or Entrepreneurial questions or obstacles? BizWarriors is completely FREE - paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to the BizWarriors Forum, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Looking For Feedback

Discussion in 'Planning Your Business' started by Ragriz, Dec 2, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Ragriz

Ragriz Member

Hello everyone

As a hobby I ran several websites. Nothing special, but enough to make enough money to cover the operating costs and make a little extra pocket money on the side.

Now I want to see if I can turn that into a business.

I recently started the first new website related to food. In this field, its least profitable, but has a wealth of readers to tap into. For the last 3 months, everything has been focused on content. Visitor numbers are steadily rising with higher numbers every month. Next month I plan on expanding into various medias to expand the visitor base.

My current method of thinking is mix things up. Rather than create a product and sell it to a specific group, I want to create a group to sell a specific product to.

Within the next few months as resources open up, I want to launch a second site. This one I am going to build around the idea of improved fitness. Then both websites will have a slight bit of overlap. This will allow posts, information, and especially readers to move from one site to the next.

The final phase comes once I have a few different websites that are all incorporated into one major network Rather than generating revenue from advertising, convert them to generate revenue from merchandise.

What do you think?

JohnHolling likes this.
  2. JohnHolling

JohnHolling Serial entrepreneur, Investor, Mentor Administrator Moderator Member

Hey Ragriz, Love the idea of having several sites that make up a network of cross-related content. That's a smart approach in my opinion. Lots of work to setup and maintain, but would be worth it if you have the time and expertise to make it happen.

Not sure what you mean by that... Are you suggesting that all the sites would sell the same product - so you'd build up an overall audience through cross-promotion and then sell a common product through each one? That's an interesting concept. Not sure I've seen it before. Do you have an example of that being done? If not, it's certainly okay to be the first!

Cheers!
    John

3. Ragriz

Ragriz Member

Thanks John.

I know it's going to be a lot of work. As money gets generated, I hope to hire writers or perhaps have guest posting.

I know I definitely would want to hire people to handle the social media aspects. That is my least favorite chore.

Not, it won't be the same products. There might be some similarities in products like apparel.

I want the the network of sites to develop a large core group of consumers. Each site will then offer a variety of different products to this group.

4. JohnHolling

JohnHolling Serial entrepreneur, Investor, Mentor Administrator Moderator Member

Got it. Sounds good! Stick with it. It will take time to build up that kind of community, but it can definitely be done. When it's time to have someone take over your social media, check out 99 Dollar Social. Ask for Lee, and he'll take great care of you.

Adam Toren likes this.
  5. Ragriz

Ragriz Member

Thank you for the tip, much appreciated.

JohnHolling likes this.
  6. Josephine Stuart

Josephine Stuart MVP Member

Hi @Ragriz ! What do you mean by "first new website related to food"?

How do you think you'll go about making your own customer base from scratch? I think you need something to introduce to a group of people (whether they're already bound together by a central interest or not) in order to get them interested in any subject or idea.

7. Ragriz

Ragriz Member

Currently l, what I am introducing is a new take on food. A poor man's guide if you will.

A collection of articles on food history and overviews. A reference database for obscure cooking terms.

I'm introducing a community database now where users can list recipes in an easy to use editor. Users can also view the work of others and rate them. They can also create their own online recipe books to hold their favorite recipes.

Next month, online videos are being added to allow for simple guides and video articles.

I'm bringing in new users with social media and good old fashioned organic clicks.

As I continue to tweak the site based on user feedback, the design keeps them coming back.

Adam Toren likes this.
  8. Josephine Stuart

Awesome! Let me know when this is launched - I love anything involving food, and I need to stick to a budget!

9. Ragriz

Ragriz Member

I have it launched now, although in a "soft" launch. I'm rolling out features every couple weeks so I can monitor reactions and plan accordingly.

So far the articles, community database, and recipe database are all implemented.

I still have social media integration and video to add in the next few weeks. Not to mention working on a special emblem and home page design for vanity.

djbaxter likes this.
  10. Josephine Stuart

Would you be interested in sharing the website so we can offer suggestions? Or would you rather wait?

11. Ragriz

Ragriz Member

Like I said, its a new website. My previous websites were all forum based so I'm treading into new territory now. Any feedback would greatly help me fine tune the design.

Link: Culinarymaestro

The recipe database and community profiles are a week old. So if you wouldn't checking it out it would be appreciated.

12. Adrianna Nine

Adrianna Nine MVP Member

Hi @Ragriz ! I really like the idea behind your website. After scrolling through and checking out the "about" page, I think of it as a great resource for beginner cooks, who would like to stick with a budget while learning to create different healthy meals.

I particularly enjoy that people can submit questions for you to answer. However, I think if you're going to talk about the effects of certain foods on sleep/body chemistry/etc, you'll want to back those claims up with reliable sources.

If you ever need someone to edit/rewrite shorter pieces, I'm your gal!

(By the way -- a couple of those photos made me hungry.)

Adam Toren and djbaxter like this.
  13. azgold

azgold Moderator MVP Member

You have a plan, that's important!

Many affiliate marketers do this. They build up a list or following then monetize.

Love the clean look of your site, by the way! :)

Adam Toren likes this.
  14. VirtualGlobalPhone

VirtualGlobalPhone Moderator MVP Member

hi @Ragriz ;
    Remember what makes some one buy food at retail stores is this awesome finish food photo and what makes food recipe website best is images .. probably a short video.
    People is going to hate scrolling so much.. do some thing about it.

Best wishes..

15. Ragriz

Ragriz Member

Sources are something that, I have played around with. Problem is I haven't gotten any user feedback to really strengthen/weaken the argument from them.

Of course, with the supposed 2017 crack down on articles courtesy of google, I might have to start regardless.

Thank you, user feedback has been positive on the clean look so far. People seem to like a minimalist appearance at the moment.

I had to put photos on hold after my camera decided to stop working. I have two new ones arriving soon. One for photos, one for videos.

As for the scrolling, I am currently testing a new outline style on a second website. Once I get it where I want it, I am going to redesign this site to make everything a little simpler.

azgold and VirtualGlobalPhone like this.
  16. Josephine Stuart

@Ragriz , it's really cool that you're going to take your own photos! I think you should put that somewhere in the about page - people will love to hear that the recipes you share are tried-and-true, and that any normal person (as opposed to a five-star chef) can cook up the meals you suggest.

17. Ragriz

Ragriz Member

That's the plan, a website for the ordinary person to be extraordinary. In due time I will create a series of sites building on that concept.

djbaxter likes this.
  18. azgold

azgold Moderator MVP Member

Love it! That would make a good tagline. :)

19. Ragriz

Ragriz Member

Once I wrote that down, I thought the same thing. Sometimes things just work out perfectly.

azgold likes this.