Looking for an Adjustable Rod: Can anyone help?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Thread starter #1
Hi,

I have a project I have been working on, and for it, I am looking for an adjustable rod or pole that can adjust between 14" and 23"/ 35 cm - 58 cm, and then lock in place.

I imagine it's something I could find or have made in China. Kind of like 2 telescoping rods.

I found something like it at a Lowe's Hardware, a 40-in White Adjustable Single Shower Curtain Rod.

I bought it, cut the 2 pieces down to shorten it, and it almost works. However, as you twist to tighten it, the rod elongates, which I don't want.

The best way I can describe the specs are:
  • about an inch in diameter
  • can adjust between 14" and 23"/ 35 cm - 58 cm
  • does not expand as one locks it in place (preferably, but does not have to be a "clamp lock")
  • has plastic or metal caps for each end
Does anyone know where I can find ones like that, or who I would contact to have some made?

Edvin

MVP
Top Contributor
Hi Zailen,

I'm sure there are Commercial Off The Shelf (COTS) products out there; but, as you noted finding them is another story...

It sounds like you are not afraid to get your hands dirty; so, here is an inexpensive DIY option:

1. Get two PVC that can slide into one another (see more on this below)
  2. Cut a slit along one end of the pipe
  3. Slide the two into one another
  4. Clamp the two pipes using a hose-clamp-screw at the slit
    You can get creative with a wingnut, or quick-release pipe clamps
    You can also put a spring inside if desired
    Put an end cap at the two extreme ends if desired
  5. Glue the clamp in place, so that it doesn't slide around on you

Okay, here is some more info on point (1)
You can use PVC or aluminum pipes; the principle remains the same.
You "may" find it difficult to find two pipes with just the right diameters that slide into-one-another in the local hardware store (though many available online). To use the pipes with same diameter do the following:
Cut the slit the full length of one pipe and then stretch it wide so tha the two pipes can slide within eachother.
The aluminum is easy enough, you just pry it open with a a shim/screwdriver, etc.
For PVC, you can use a heatgun (maybe hear-dryer) to soften it PVC and then keep it open until it cools down.​

Last edited:
Thread starter #3
Hi Edvin,

Thank you for your reply. I actually have a device, similar to what I have in mind, that uses a pair of PVC pipes, but there's too much play between the sizes.

I've been trying to upgrade from that, and make them look professional, as I'd like to make a lot of these.

I'd like them to either twist to lock, or have a mechanism. One very close idea is the locking mechanism at REI - "REI Co-op Traverse Power Lock Cork Trekking Poles - Pair", if you don't mind googling that. I can't seem to post a link yet. It's at around :43 seconds.

Edvin

MVP
Top Contributor
Hi Zailen,

I don't know if you missed my comment about using a quick-release clamp and using aluminum pipes, which is exactly what trekking poles are using. You can add rubber/plastic cap at the end of the poles for finishing touches.
The amazon link from above has examples of clamps, and here are some more image links.

If you need the twist option then you can mimic the bicycle handlebar, whereby twisting you're are wedging the screw nut.
bicycle-handle.jpg
This should be easy enough to do. Simply cut the inner aluminum pipe diagonally so that a nut will start sliding against it. The nut is attached to long screw (available at local hardware store) that may go the full length of the inner pipe. You can secure the screw by drilling a pin hole from the sidewall of through the pipe. For that professional look, you'll want to put a pipe wall bushing so it looks polished.

Thread starter #5
Hi Edvin,

Getting close, thank you. Yes, sorry, looks like I did miss some of your information. Thanks for pointing that out.

Clamps look good. I like the bicycle stem idea as well. Imagining they have to work with specific telescoping rods. Maybe I'm wrong though.

I was leaning toward an "already done" setup, where I just choose my rod lengths, diameter, and it has clamps or internal locking mechanism. I know of alibaba and aliexpress. I reached out to some people there, I think they're all in China, haven't heard back.

I might not have mentioned this - that it would be for many people to use, so it should be easy to adjust the length. The idea is that there's also a piece of wood, it connects to the rod, (see below) and weight gets placed on it, so it has to stay put. Also has to change height easily, for different people, and come apart easily for storage and travel.

I am attaching a link to images. Can't seem to yet, however, they are at imgur, ending a/hGlqwLo, and you can see:

what I am using
the rod and "guts", which elongates as I twist and tighten it
another, a rod for a mop I got from Daiso, a Japanese store, that has different innards. I pried it apart, which shows a kind of cam (it's good because it stays in place when twisted, but, the diameter is too small, and it doesn't always lock very well.)

I'll keep at it. Open to any other ideas, thanks again for the thoughts so far.

Imgur

Update: Link added ~ djbaxter

Last edited by a moderator: