Keep it Local: How Blogging will Help Your Small Business

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

djbaxter

Administrator
Keep it Local: How and Why Simple Blogging will Help Your Small Business
by Scott W Johnson, NoobPreneur.com
October 28, 2017

Step One: The Exact Same Listing, Every Time
Before you go and spend tons of money hiring people to do all sorts of search engine marketing, the very first thing you should do is to claim your operation on Google, Yelp, & Hotfrog. Don’t fret if your operation is home based, just follow their rules. Use the exact same way of writing your companies name and address for each and every internet listing moving forward. In other words, do not change up the name of your company from Johns Plumbing to John’s Plumbing; those types of slight differences can wreak havoc.

Step Two: The Local Contact Page and Contact Form
If you already have a company name and website established you are in lucks way. Make sure your website clearly states your contact information that exactly matches the address of the Google Local listing – on your Contact page. Preferably your website will also have a ‘contact me form’ which will easily allow potential clients to reach out to you for a request for service.... keep the contact form as simple as possible.

Step Three: Blog about Business, Blog about Local
The first blog post that many people write can seem extremely scary, get over it. Just write it. Your first blog piece should shoot to be over 600 words and contain information about what you do and where you do it. Depending on exactly what you do, people may or may not care about the quality of the writing. ... Now you will want to repeat this exercise each and every week for about six months, changing up topics and locales, the more specific the problems of the area the better. Getting back to our Tempe based plumber, he may get lots of phone calls and requests to fix plumbing associated with summer heat. A short blog about how the heat in the Phoenix area can ruin your plumbing if your air conditioner is turned off might could be a great idea.

You will notice in this article the absence of suggestions about doing keyword research. This is because your local towns, county and even sub divisions are your keywords and when these are combined with specifics about plumbing information than this can prove to be a powerful marketing tool.
If you are struggling with what to write about, start off by writing about the most common questions that you get. Share some free knowledge with the hope that many consumers may give up trying to solve the problem themselves and call you.

Read more...

Richard Waine

I'm pretty new here, and I have a question about this concept:

On one hand the post above suggests that tons of content and blogging will drive traffic to the website and thus generate revenue for your business. There is another school of thought that says that blogging only serves to drive traffic to your blog page, but won't help to convert visitors to your site. Folks genuinely interested in your product / services will be looking for information and an easy way to get their pain points addressed.

That being said, which course of action is correct? Driving traffic to the home page, and get people into your sales funnel? or drive traffic to your blog where folks will be impressed with your content only?

Thanks for your input!

Rich

djbaxter

Administrator
On one hand the post above suggests that tons of content and blogging will drive traffic to the website and thus generate revenue for your business. There is another school of thought that says that blogging only serves to drive traffic to your blog page, but won't help to convert visitors to your site. Folks genuinely interested in your product / services will be looking for information and an easy way to get their pain points addressed.
Welcome to BizWarriors, Richard Waine. :)

I would suggest that your blog should be simply a subsection of your main website, and not a separate entity. That's one of the reasons WordPress works so well for small businesses: the blog and the main site are one and the same, just different tabs in the navigation bar. And you can use part of the sidebar as a call to action.

Richard Waine

Welcome to BizWarriors, Richard Waine. :)

I would suggest that your blog should be simply a subsection of your main website, and not a separate entity. That's one of the reasons WordPress works so well for small businesses: the blog and the main site are one and the same, just different tabs in the navigation bar. And you can use part of the sidebar as a call to action.

Thanks for your reply!
My blog is hosted on my website, and can be reached via nav bar. When a blog is published, however, it’s indexed by google, and pushing that content out socially only drives traffic to the blog, and not the homepage. what incentive does a reader of that blog or any blog post have to pursue my services after reading?

I’m torn between continuing to write fresh content on my blog, or to keep my copy on my homepage fresh and interesting enough to be indexed by google.

djbaxter

Administrator
I would vote for updating the blog. The homepage should be more for branding.

Richard Waine

I would vote for updating the blog. The homepage should be more for branding.
So then how does one convert that traffic into paying clients? I can write plenty of content, but when my business is visual branding by way of professional headshot photography, to me it seems logical to drive traffic to a funnel where I direct visitors through the information and decision making process. I’m simply looking for a logical way for potential clients to experience my site, services and convert.

djbaxter

Administrator
Are you also promoting on social media? Facebook, etc.?

I'm not suggesting that you abandon your home page or stop promoting that. Not at all.

Put call to action sections on social media and in the sidebar for every blog post.

Also make sure you created a Google My Business - Get Your Free Business page and you can now update that with posts.

Richard Waine

I have social media covered, as well as google business page and analytics. The difficulty is in understanding what method(s) will work best for driving traffic and converting. I appreciate your response and will continue to work on my blog content in addition to my normal homepage optimization. Many thanks!

buy_ince

Blogging is the best way for introducing your products or business to people. If your business has any offers or launches any new products then you can write a blog on that and inform people with this.

After writing unique blog you can share with social media and that will helps you to get more clients and engagement with your business.

johnmart

Blog basically used to provide useful information about your service and business products among global customers, not to used promotion. The blog always holds unique and informative content that clearly basis on your basic service. If your blog content more informative, it increases more genuine bloggers to read it. Do you want to more interaction on your blog, you need it to promote on social media websites.

ckyap

giving things away has always worked, blog about a free consultation or discounts and your traffic will go up and sales converted. blog about something big you've done, try to corner a large unusual job once in a while, this is excitement. fun and sun always grows business!

VirtualGlobalPhone

Top Poster Of Month
Richard Waine , welcome and you stuck a good chord with write type of question. And our djbaxter knows the pulse of users. Thank you to both.

Richard, to answer your question you keep updating blog, social media , your portal and others as frequent as possible with unique content.

You may not get customer to signup straight from reading in a blog / social media but it surely influence a lot. In business its called "INDUCED" knowledge.

Best wishes..

Your blog post can serve to drive and convert traffic, depending in the type of content you produce and the promotion channels you're using.

Ideally, you should have blog posts that serve every step of your marketing funnel and direct your traffic down that funnel, either through recommended links within the post or having them sign up for a newsletter or email updates.