Julia Sta Romana

Top Contributor
Top Poster Of Month
Fast food restaurant chain Jack in the Box has teamed up with Spotify to gamify the advertising experience and give listeners a chance to gain access to exclusive content and get their hands on some free tacos.

The Jack in the Box interactive experience takes its inspiration form the popular ‘Two Truths and a Lie’ guessing game, with the game featuring a mixture of general trivia and statements about the history of Jack in the Box.

“We are excited to join forces with Spotify to merge the love of food, music and gaming,” said Adrienne Ingoldt, SVP, Chief Brand and Experience Officer at Jack in the Box. “Gamers and music lovers constitute a huge part of our core consumer and our goal is to find innovative and dynamic ways to both engage and bring joy to our fans, especially during this challenging time. This way, you can always enjoy Jack in the Box no matter where you are and connect with our fans -from one ear to another.”

Read the full story here: Jack in the Box teams with Spotify on gamified ads | Mobile Marketing Magazine

At first glance, the ad seems really impressive. Wow, they turned an ad into a game! But when you look closer, you can see that their strategy has solid, old school roots. It's essentially a giveaway to fans with extra steps. The technological innovation is simply a means to get more eyeballs.

I'm not downplaying their achievements. What Jack in the Box did here is really impressive. The takeaway for me in this though is that we need remind ourselves that marketing tools are just tools. The new, shiny thing isn't going to work if you don't have good market research and a solid strategy. Technology makes implementation easier but it doesn't not guarantee success.

Julia Sta Romana

Top Contributor
Top Poster Of Month
Today's advertising world is all about focusing on overlapping interest. This one seems to be the best one.

I agree! I wonder though how much information was shared between Jack in the Box and Spotify on this. I don't remember putting in my food preferences when I signed up for a Spotify account 😂😂😂. They're probably sharing location and demographics data.

Top Bottom