1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Welcome to the BizWarriors Forum!
Why not join our community?

Is there a free e-commerce platform that charge me nothing?

Discussion in 'Planning Your Business' started by salmonjames, Jan 13, 2017.

Share This Page

1. salmonjames

salmonjames Member

I want to start my own online business. I am student yet I have ideas with me so I want to know if there's any free e-commerce platform that would let me build my online store for free.

2. djbaxter

djbaxter Tech Admin Administrator

I'm not sure I understand your question correctly. Are you asking about ecommerce software for your online store? If so, there are several options:

Sites like etsy.com, shopify.com, etc., will allow you to create your own store which you can then promote via social media sites like Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, etc. I believe they charge a fee per sale but you don't have any hosting costs or upfront costs to set up the store. They take care of payment transactions I believe.

You can set up a Wordpress site using free plugins like woo commerce. You may even be able to host it for free if you set up an account at wordpress.com. Blogger may offer similar options, not sure.

Amazon now has programs that will allow you to to sell products on their site for a cut of the sale price. And of course there's eBay.

Or are you asking about payment transactions, i.e., accepting online payments and/or credit cards? If so, I think all of them charge a fee per transaction although you don't have upfront setup costs, so no fees until you make a sale.

Ciaran likes this.
  3. Ciaran

Ciaran Member

The only one I can think from is WooCommerce! It's a plugin for Wordpress sites. It's pretty popular so it should be relatively easy to find solutions online to any problems you might face when getting started!

Goodluck! :)

djbaxter likes this.
  4. salmonjames

salmonjames Member

Yeah you have taken me right. I am looking to build my own online store so I need some opinion that which one I should choose. At the moment, I don't want to get my own domain so I prefer to host my domain on that builder's site. So what do you suggest.

Shopify is good one. However, they ask for payment after 14 days and I don't want to pay at the moment or at any stage.

5. djbaxter

Well, those free sites are going to want to make some money from helpinh you make money. It's just a matter of how you want to pay them.

Go look at the terms of service for Amazon or Etsy and see if those suit you better.

6. JohnHolling

JohnHolling MVP Member

@salmonjames I recommend Amazon. No fees for getting setup, a reasonable per-transaction fee, and hundreds of millions of users for you to sell to. Depending on what you're selling, you can even have them do the fulfillment for you. Here's where to get started: Amazon.com: Sell Products Online with Selling on Amazon

Good luck!
    John

djbaxter likes this.
  7. sassytrumpet

sassytrumpet Member

Well, theirs are online businesses as well so you're bound to pay one way or another. But a cut from the sale price might be your best option.

8. salmonjames

salmonjames Member

Thanks for helping out. I admit Amazon is there are it is helping so many businesses. However, having store on amazon is as you are walking on other crunches. They can step down your store any time. So don't you think, it's better to have your own online store rather than relying on these platforms?

9. salmonjames

salmonjames Member

Hi, I have been reading a lot about the e-commerce website builders, because I want to start my own online business. I have found out that there are Platforms like Open Cart, WooCommerce that are free. However, this needs technical skills to manage these and this is what I lack. So can you suggest me one that is easy and free as well, that takes no transaction cost on my sale, plus deduct no hosting fee too.

10. djbaxter

In a word no. "Free" can mean different things but there is no setup that is going to do all the work and provide the hosting for you and not charge a fee somewhere. As @sassytrumpet said, they are in business to make a profit too and they are not going to give their services away for free.

11. salmonjames

salmonjames Member

I admit but let me tell you that I have been looking at other forums and there people are mentioning about Woo Commerce. Even someone suggested me to try Magento's community edition. While some of these were advocating about Tibolli(.)NET so what do you think. Should I go with any of these?

12. djbaxter

Woo Commerce isn't a store builder per se. It's a free plugin for WordPress that allows you to set up items for sale and accept sales processing. As you noted earlier, it takes time and effort to set it up and learn how to use it but in itself it won't address your other issues.

I don't know as much about Magento, for example whether they include hosting for your store (it doesn't seem so), and a lot of their products and extensions are not free so in order to get it to do what they want you may well have to spend some up front money.

This is the first time I've heard of tibolli.net. If they claim everything is absolutely free, they still have to make money somehow so they must either depend on having advertisements running on the free sites or they take a cut of your sales. You'll have to explore that yourself.

ShaneW likes this.
  13. ShaneW

ShaneW Member

Wordpress + wooecommerce is a good choice and it is free. I am using it on an eCommerce site for selling digital products.

salmonjames and djbaxter like this.
  14. salmonjames

salmonjames Member

Hi there thanks again, I just checked with Tibolli and they are saying that we are taking nothing all we want is to revolutionize e-commerce world by offering things for free. I raised question regarding their monetization and they said that sounds insane but trust us and the moment you felt that we are taking something from you, you can pull back your store from us.

15. salmonjames

salmonjames Member

Thanks but I wouldn't give it try. This is not, it's not good. In fact I want something that is just drag and drop and involves no coding at any stage.

16. Josephine Stuart

Josephine Stuart MVP Member

Etsy and Amazon are probably your two best bets. They're the easiest platforms to start selling on; you don't have to build a website or anything to begin. I believe Shopify is just a plugin you add to your existing site in order to sell stuff.

Amazon is best for goods you acquired somewhere else, while Etsy is for handmade goods. Both charge a fee per sale, but shouldn't charge anything upfront. You're not going to find a platform that doesn't charge anything at all--then the platform wouldn't make any money. But you can avoid handing over cash upfront by using Amazon or Etsy, which both just charge you per sale.

17. djbaxter

Actually, no. I assisted a client in setting up a Shopify store. She originally was looking for something to handle payments but friends recommended Shopify. If you wish, to can build a store on their website (with your own branding) or you can feature products on your site via a Wordpress plugin and send customers to Shopify for payment processing, or you can do both. There is a monthly fee depending on your sales volume but it seemed to work fairly well.

I'm not saying that to promote Shopify over the alternatives. Just clarifying what you can do if you decide to go with them.

18. salmonjames

salmonjames Member

May be this could be plugin. I have not used it either. But I have seen that they are using some big budgets to advertise them. I understand that there are so many stable and mature platforms. But when it gets to selling stuff online then we need to be vigilant about costs and other things. Initially, I am student and I would opt one with that would allow me to start things with no investment.