Is it Possible to Start A Computer Repair Business Without A College Degree?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:2)

rz3300

Of course. I am wondering who is out there telling him that he cannot, because that is certainly irresponsible of them. As someone who is not the greatest with computers, I couldn't care less about where my computer helper went to school or if he did as long as he can fix my computer. Same goes with most professions really, but of course many might require the degree to get your foot in the door, as they say. But starting a business has nothing to do with any degrees, just plan out funding and have a business plan that is sound and go.

parvati

I think you should go for it if you feel you like it. I started from nothing too, now I have a job and an opportunity to get better every day. You can start working with simple things; if you work with servers, I recommend this windows image backup software, it'll be very handy - you won't believe me how many people still don't have a clue about backups!
So, anyway, good luck!

BruceJonesSEO

I am a high school drop out and a college graduate but the 3 years I gained while being in the Army between those times taught me that a degree on the wall in many ways represents that you are not an expert in that field. If you were, you would be working in that field gaining more experience instead.

djbaxter

Administrator
I am a high school drop out and a college graduate but the 3 years I gained while being in the Army between those times taught me that a degree on the wall in many ways represents that you are not an expert in that field. If you were, you would be working in that field gaining more experience instead.
I would have to disagree with you. Neither a degree nor the absence of a degree necessarily indicates that you are an expert in the field. A track record of experience is what makes one an expert.

A degree will often give you a head start on learning what you need to know. Without one, you are starting from ground zero. But either way you are going to need experience and continuous upgrading of your skill set to become an expert.