djbaxter

Administrator
Is Email Marketing Obsolete?
by Rieva Lesonsky, AllBusiness.com
February 23, 2018

If you think email marketing is too old hat to bother with, consider these statistics:
  • A whopping 89% of people check their email daily, according to a study by Fluent.
  • Seven in 10 internet users would rather have businesses communicate with them by email than any other method, reports MarketingSherpa.
  • More than half (53%) of consumers have purchased something from a retailer after receiving an email about the product.
  • For every $1 businesses spend on email marketing, they enjoy an average return on investment of $38. No, that’s not a typo. Thirty-eight dollars.
Smartphones haven’t freed us from email—they’ve tied us to it even more closely. The majority of emails are now opened on a mobile device, not on a desktop. That means even more opportunity for your business to make an impression. ....

How can you make your email marketing a success? Here are some tips:
  • Looking good: Mobile email viewing dominates, so your emails need to look good on a mobile device.
  • Keep it short: A couple of photos (at most) and a few short paragraphs are all you need.
  • Action, please: Put your call to action near the top of the email; don’t make readers scroll down to get your message.
  • Easy does it: One or two links or buttons in an email is plenty. Make them eye-catching and easy to click on.
  • Learning curve: Tap into the analytics tools your email marketing service provides. You’d be amazed at what you can find out—from who opened what email when, and what they clicked on, to which emails drove the most sales or generated the most engagement. Based on this information, you can segment your email subscriber lists to tailor information to what specific users want.

Read more...

Firefly

The thing with e-mail marketing is that, more often than not, your business will become a nuisance in the spam folder of your customers, or you soon will be. This is especially the case when you over-do sending out newsletters and offers.

With the arrival of social media, you can post more permanently placed advertisements or place links to newsletters on your website directly. This way, your audience gets alerted of a new post on their timeline, but they don't feel the privacy invasion or the cluttered feeling of another business email in their personal email inbox.

Of course, e-mail marketing has more ROI when done for B2B purposes. But for B2C, I'd be careful not to damage your image as a business when people begin to mark your messages as spam and relate your business name to the emotion of annoyance.

Hi DJ Baxter,

Thank you so much for this information and I can add here we can do lead nurturing through email marketing and it is cost effective technique.

Thanks, this is useful. It could be seen as an annoyance for some users, but if it works -- well, it works. Just be sure not to over do it and follow some basic guidlines. I was doing a research on how to not end up in spam and found this to be helpful. Though there are many ways too. Noone wants to get lost in spam, surely.

Inva

I'm not sure if i believe that 53% of people bought something after receiving spam a promotional email. Also how is $38 calculated? Do subsequent buys get registered as ROI?

djbaxter

Administrator
It really depends on the subject line first and the product the email is selling. I hate spam but I have bought products more than once through an unsolicited email campaign. If the subject line of the email looks intriguing and if it's a product that fills a need I have at that specific time, I will do some competitor research and check out reviews online, but if the product checks out, sure I'll buy it.

For details, check the original source of the study: 22 New Stats Showing How American Adults Use Email - eleventy marketing group

It's not, but people's inboxes are starting to be very crowded as more and more business send their promotional stuff by email.

You should consider Messenger marketing and Chatbots. If you want to know more, just let me know!

If this is email marketing for a ready-made audience who have signed up and are awaiting distribution, then this should work. For all other mailings can be considered as unacceptable advertising their services and spam.

The problem with email marketing is that it almost always goes directly to the Promotional tab on Google Mail now, so it makes it very difficult to have it seen unless it has a really catchy subject name, or one of the last recieved or unless there is already consumer loyalty. It'd be almost better to piggy back off of Facebook or Twitter by posting any of your marketing onto those platforms via store/business page/official Twitter.

Top Bottom