Julia Sta Romana

Top Contributor
Top Poster Of Month
"Instagram is bringing QR codes to the app. Users can now generate QR codes that’ll be scannable from any supporting, third-party camera apps. It first launched the product in Japan last year. The idea is that businesses can print their QR code and have customers scan it to open their Instagram account easily. From there, people can see store hours, buy items, or just follow the account. "

Read the full story here:
Instagram launches QR codes globally, letting people open a profile from any camera app

I am really excited about this because one of the problems a lot of new businesses face when they get into social media marketing is that they can't get the profile names or handles they want. This causes branding inconsistencies. You can lose traffic to other businesses or accounts with similar handles. But with a QR code, you don't have to worry about that anymore. You can use the closest available handle and just direct your customers to a QR code.

Thoughts?

djbaxter

Administrator
I don't use Instagram much although I have a couple of clients who do (marketing).

I wonder about QR codes, though. It was the next big thing a few years back but never really took off. Google reintroduced them for Google My Business recently and now I see one or two other platforms doing the same.

But I have to wonder what's changed... last time they were being pushed they fell like a lead balloon... what has changed in the intervening time and why do people think it will take off this time around?

djbaxter

Administrator
By the way, for those of you who want to try it out, here's a free online QR code generator:

This App generates QR Codes from free text, URLs, phone numbers, SMS messages, or contacts (vcard).

Julia Sta Romana

Top Contributor
Top Poster Of Month
I don't use Instagram much although I have a couple of clients who do (marketing).

I wonder about QR codes, though. It was the next big thing a few years back but never really took off. Google reintroduced them for Google My Business recently and now I see one or two other platforms doing the same.

But I have to wonder what's changed... last time they were being pushed they fell like a lead balloon... what has changed in the intervening time and why do people think it will take off this time around?
The improved camera quality in smartphones has helped. And making the QR code reader a standard feature in most camera apps.

QR codes isn't widespread but it's really helpful for targeted marketing campaigns. One really good example I have seen is when a restaurant has QR code stickers on their tables. Scanning the code lead to an evaluation form that, when completed, would give you a free dessert. This allowed the store to easily create a database of repeat customers.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe