Improving visibility in your business.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Thread starter #1
Hi,

As there are various strategies are being followed by the managers now a days with the changing trends, i am curious to know that what are the few technologies or strategies you are using to improve end to end visibility in your business specially if it is concerned with supply chain business.

Edvin

MVP
Top Contributor
Hi Charu,

I noticed that you have several other postings about Supply Chain Management (SCM) that have not gotten any response; these include:
Were you able to answer your own question?
Or did you find an answer to only find more questions?
In either case please post back so we can learn from your finding.

Did you research anything before you post questions; so, that we have a point of reference...
If you provide some insight, we might be able to point you towards a direction that can lead to further discovery.

Otherwise, your questions have little insight and are too broad to warrant a valid response.

For example, the following are valid answers to your question; but, I doubt they are valuable:
  • Customer Relationship Management (CRM)
    The CRM capability has evolved. It is easier to use, with multiple integration points to customers, vendors, partners, suppliers
  • Route planning
    The logistics of transportation is better managed; considering route traffic, shortest route, even shortest duration, traffic routs, (e.g. three right turns out-weight one left turn in certain high traffic areas like New York, San Francisco, etc)
  • Resource planning and scheduling is tied closely with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) schedule for Just-In-Time schedule and delivery
  • Forecast models are used to anticipate demand and plan staffing from manufacturing, to delivery, to support, etc

But, I'm sure that above points are not answering your questions.

If you work in supply-chain and are trying to figure-out what others are doing, then lets tackle your question differently:
  • What are you doing that you think needs help and would like to improve
  • Or search for specific problem (i.e. delivery route planning) and see vendors and solutions for that problem
If you are looking to be part of supply-chain business, then you need to clarify which component and in what industry.
Supply chain spans from material acquisition for manufacturer to delivery of the product to customer, to support/repair/recycle of the product. There is no one answer, and there are countless best practices within different industry verticals.

If you are looking for a general resource and understanding as well as better SCM strategies; perhaps the online courses will be helpful. For example, there is a good array of free resources for supply chain management on edx.org.

Otherwise, I will echo what castlekeeper said; that is, what are you trying to do?

I've spent more time in attempting to formulate a constructive response than I care to admit; yet, I doubt this response is useful to you or anyone on this forum. Please take the time to research and ask well-thought-out questions so that we can help each-other learn and grow.

Best,
Edvin

Last edited:
Thread starter #6
Hi Charu,

I noticed that you have several other postings about Supply Chain Management (SCM) that have not gotten any response; these include:
Were you able to answer your own question?
Or did you find an answer to only find more questions?
In either case please post back so we can learn from your finding.

Did you research anything before you post questions; so, that we have a point of reference...
If you provide some insight, we might be able to point you towards a direction that can lead to further discovery.

Otherwise, your questions have little insight and are too broad to warrant a valid response.

For example, the following are valid answers to your question; but, I doubt they are valuable:
  • Customer Relationship Management (CRM)
    The CRM capability has evolved. It is easier to use, with multiple integration points to customers, vendors, partners, suppliers
  • Route planning
    The logistics of transportation is better managed; considering route traffic, shortest route, even shortest duration, traffic routs, (e.g. three right turns out-weight one left turn in certain high traffic areas like New York, San Francisco, etc)
  • Resource planning and scheduling is tied closely with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) schedule for Just-In-Time schedule and delivery
  • Forecast models are used to anticipate demand and plan staffing from manufacturing, to delivery, to support, etc

But, I'm sure that above points are not answering your questions.

If you work in supply-chain and are trying to figure-out what others are doing, then lets tackle your question differently:
  • What are you doing that you think needs help and would like to improve
  • Or search for specific problem (i.e. delivery route planning) and see vendors and solutions for that problem
If you are looking to be part of supply-chain business, then you need to clarify which component and in what industry.
Supply chain spans from material acquisition for manufacturer to delivery of the product to customer, to support/repair/recycle of the product. There is no one answer, and there are countless best practices within different industry verticals.

If you are looking for a general resource and understanding as well as better SCM strategies; perhaps the online courses will be helpful. For example, there is a good array of free resources for supply chain management on edx.org.

Otherwise, I will echo what castlekeeper said; that is, what are you trying to do?

I've spent more time in attempting to formulate a constructive response than I care to admit; yet, I doubt this response is useful to you or anyone on this forum. Please take the time to research and ask well-thought-out questions so that we can help each-other learn and grow.

Best,
Edvin

Hi Edvin,

Yes, I did research. I believe that this is one of the hot topic of growing emergence of e commerce business which can only be executed successfully with the help of supply chain services. And there are various complexities associated with this mostly related to maintaining transparency and visibility throughout the process. Various components are interlinked with each other, and sometimes it becomes difficult to coordinate with them. So, my main motive to ask this question was to learn from your experiences. Because I believe that not only in supply chain business but many other business /organisations are dealing with the similar issue. Quite satisfied with your answer. Thanks for giving your time.

Edvin

MVP
Top Contributor
..my main motive to ask this question was to learn from your experiences. I believe that not only in supply chain business but many other business /organisations are dealing with the similar issue.
Thank you for clarification.

Here is my experience in managing transparency for software development team.

Development and defect activity transparency
As a small team of developers, my team managed both new feature requests as well as fixing defects.
Defects were managed and tracked through a ticketing system; but, feature requests came from marketing department.
This made it difficult to track and know what team members were working on at any given time.

As a result, I required that all new feature request be added as a ticket item.
This made it easier to track the work; but, I still didn't know the status of defects or new features.

Next, I implemented Kanban within sharepoint as list items. As you maybe aware, Kanban is manufacturing process oriented strategy that Toyota created.
I required features and defects to be broken into several small chunks (not lasting days) with a built-in estimates. My team were limited to no more than three concurrent tasks. The backlog made it clear the next important task that needed attention. Additionally, my team had to learn how to start estimating the workload.

As a result, I had immediate visibility to what my team was working and no longer needed to get a status update. Instead, I stepped-in when I noticed a task was taking longer than estimate threshold; so, that I could help expedite the issue.​

Defect resolution transparency

My colleague, Quality Assurance (QA) manager, shared that my team was submitting too many defects and they had a difficulty in figuring out how to test our software updates.

As a result, I required my team to submit the solution to their peers for review prior to submitting it to the QA team. The extra time taken by peer review reduced the QA cycle time. This resolved the issue of inadequate testing instruction, and improved the quality; however, the QA manager still shared that the team was producing many errors.

Next, I asked peer reviewer to passed the ticket to me for final review and submission to QA. As part of this process I was tracking all the back-forth assignment of the ticket. After reviewing defect identification frequency, it became apparent that I was catching majority of defects despite initial peer review.
After presenting the finding to my team and asking them to exercise more deligence, subsequent reports showed that the team was much more effective in peer review thereby improving the quality of software output.

The QA manager still complained about defect in the software; but, there is no such thing as 100% defect free and I couldn't come-up with a better strategy.

Last edited:
Thread starter #8
Interesting. I really appreciate the work going in your organisation. And yes, I agree that thing have some limitations and drawbacks. The only things needs to be consider is to identify the errors and find the solution.

Last edited by a moderator: