NAVIN

Hlww entrepreneurs...
I'm thinking to start a online grocery shop.currently My team is discussing on the business and revenue model of the shop. We've collaborated with market. And thinking to launch my website. Should I hire programmers or make the website using wordpress or weebly????.. Suggest..
AND give me new ideas related to growth of my business.
Thank you warriors...

Personally, I wouldn't put Weebly on my shortlist (Best of Breed). Here are some other e-commerce (shopping cart) solutions worth looking into:
  • Magento
  • Shopify
  • Pinnacle Cart
  • Big Commerce
  • WooCommerce for WordPress
If you are just starting off most shopping cart solutions will have the features you need; therefore, when reviewing different solutions think 5 years ahead - what will your business look like in 5 years time? For example, 3% transaction fee may not seem high at the beginning (e.g. $50,000 in revenue), but will really start to hurt you down the line (e.g. $500,000 or $5,000,000 in revenue). This is especially important for businesses with low profit margins.

We typically recommend WordPress and WooCommerce, because open source platforms (e.g. Wordpress and Drupal) give our clients more flexibility - features, customization, developer talent pool, hosting environments, etc.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Aleks Radonjic

Last edited by a moderator:
Hlww entrepreneurs...
I'm thinking to start a online grocery shop.currently My team is discussing on the business and revenue model of the shop. We've collaborated with market. And thinking to launch my website. Should I hire programmers or make the website using wordpress or weebly????.. Suggest..
AND give me new ideas related to growth of my business.
Thank you warriors...

I'd say hire people who has the experience and knowledge in this market. I'm not saying that you don't have it, I'm saying let someone better do it for you. You might want to check out Onlinejobs for that.

djbaxter

Administrator
We typically recommend WordPress and WooCommerce, because open source platforms (e.g. Wordpress and Drupal) give our clients more flexibility - features, customization, developer talent pool, hosting environments, etc.

I'd say hire people who has the experience and knowledge in this market. I'm not saying that you don't have it, I'm saying let someone better do it for you. You might want to check out Onlinejobs for that.

I agree with both of these recommendations.

NAVIN

I am thinking to Use wordpress initially, if it don't work, then I will hire programmers..

Well, do you know any wordpress built online grocery,....???

djbaxter

Administrator
There aren't a lot of online grocery sites in Canada, except those that a couple of the big chains have started, like Walmart.

But WordPress with the Woocommerce plugin(s) doesn't care about what products you are selling. They can be anything.

You will find that there is a bit of a learning curve with WordPress and a much bigger learning curve for Woocommerce but it makes a powerful combination.

Make sure you use a self-hosted WordPress installation and it must be https (SSL) since you will need to accept online payment.

NAVIN

There aren't a lot of online grocery sites in Canada, except those that a couple of the big chains have started, like Walmart.

But WordPress with the Woocommerce plugin(s) doesn't care about what products you are selling. They can be anything.

You will find that there is a bit of a learning curve with WordPress and a much bigger learning curve for Woocommerce but it makes a powerful combination.

Make sure you use a self-hosted WordPress installation and it must be https (SSL) since you will need to accept online payment.
But if I am providing Cash on delivery, then still there is Use of self-hosted wordpress installation

djbaxter

Administrator
I'm not sure what you're saying.

By self-hosted, I mean you have your own domain name and your own hosting, NOT a site on wordpress.com but an independent site using WordPress and Woocommerce and other necessary plugins for security from wordpress.org.

And even if you are using COD instead of online payment, you are still going to need to take personal information like name, address, phone number, and presumably account login information. You need a secure site for all that.

That doesn't need to be expensive. These days, any site hosting that includes cPanel can now offer free (with a license) SSL certificates.

NAVIN

I'm not sure what you're saying.

By self-hosted, I mean you have your own domain name and your own hosting, NOT a site on wordpress.com but an independent site using WordPress and Woocommerce and other necessary plugins for security from wordpress.org.

And even if you are using COD instead of online payment, you are still going to need to take personal information like name, address, phone number, and presumably account login information. You need a secure site for all that.

That doesn't need to be expensive. These days, any site hosting that includes cPanel can now offer free (with a license) SSL certificates.

Well I don't have any experience, but, WordPress will provide me a secure website.
I watched many online grocery site made by WordPress, and they looks good.
But will it provide create user account like services, like Amazon, and will I be able to add coupon services, using WordPress???
How better looking and working site I could make with WordPress... (I mean features like coupon )??

djbaxter

Administrator
Well I don't have any experience, but, wordpress will ------provide me a secure website.
If you mean wordpress.com, yes, but you will not have access to many plugins with a wordpress.com site.

But will it provide create user account like services, like Amazon, and will I be able to add coupon services, using WordPress???

How better looking and working site I could make with WordPress... (I mean features like coupon )??

Basic coupon services are provided by the Woocommerce plugin, as well as accounts, shopping cart, and payment gateways. You can enhance the basic Woocommerce features with extra plugins, and many of them are free if you host the site yourself under your own domain. You can also add other free plugins that protect your site from hacking attempts and backup your site and database every day.

It is really your choice but you simply have a lot more flexibility and power for cutomizing and protecting your site if you do NOT use wordpress.com.

VirtualGlobalPhone

Top Poster Of Month
@NAVIN ; simply go with wordpress + woocommerce like my friend @djbaxter suggested. Beginners usually avoid hiring programmer to build a shopping cart. In todays world you can go with any top shopping cart they some how give you a option to plugin to wordpress.

Once you have these its just like logging into CMS platform of each and edit just like the way you edit in any word processor.

Best wishes ..

NAVIN

@NAVIN ; simply go with wordpress + woocommerce like my friend @djbaxter suggested. Beginners usually avoid hiring programmer to build a shopping cart. In todays world you can go with any top shopping cart they some how give you a option to plugin to wordpress.

Once you have these its just like logging into CMS platform of each and edit just like the way you edit in any word processor.

Best wishes ..
Thanks a lot,,,,...

Personally, I wouldn't put Weebly on my shortlist (Best of Breed). Here are some other e-commerce (shopping cart) solutions worth looking into:
  • Magento
  • Shopify
  • Pinnacle Cart
  • Big Commerce
  • WooCommerce for WordPress
If you are just starting off most shopping cart solutions will have the features you need; therefore, when reviewing different solutions think 5 years ahead - what will your business look like in 5 years time? For example, 3% transaction fee may not seem high at the beginning (e.g. $50,000 in revenue), but will really start to hurt you down the line (e.g. $500,000 or $5,000,000 in revenue). This is especially important for businesses with low profit margins.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Aleks Radonjic
Founder & Principal Consultant | Evolving Digital, LLC

it's such an informative response. thank you :)

Pawan_Kumar

Hi Navin,

Launching an online grocery store is the best business idea. The following stats also depict online grocery sales increasing day by day. According to Nielson study, developed countries like US, UK, Japan, France, etc., about one-fourth online shoppers are already shopping groceries on the internet and 55% are willing to do it in near future.

There are many ways to start an online grocery store:
  • Hire Freelance Programmers
  • Website Builders
  • Ready made Solutions
But before you make the final call here are many things you need to keep in mind.

For example, if you hire programmers. You need to first, interview them properly about their experience, their work, project timelines, prices etc. If their work satisfies your requirement then you hire them.

Same for website builders like WordPress, Weebly, you need to first check the features they provide, then see if they are providing you with the full source code, then are they charging you once or monthly/yearly basis, is the system scalable and many other things. But as per my knowledge, these builders are not fully customizable, they charge your monthly/yearly, they don’t allow you to use your server etc.

I recommend you to choose ready made solutions like Growcer to start your grocery store. Here are some benefits of using ready made solution: fully scalable & customizable, provide full source code, secure, one time payment, no early charges, do not use plugins means no need to upgrade plugin after certain time period, ready to launch system & you have the option to explore demo to know how your store will look like.

I hope you find this answer useful. If you have any further queries please let me know any time.

Joelhuang22

Hi,
Great that you're wanting to start an online grocery shop. In my personal experience, the two most important questions you should answer to yourself are:

1. How should be your website?
2. How do you plan to market your business?

I think that wix or any other such site builders are good for nothing when it comes to a business like yours. I'd advise that you go for an Ecommerce type of site.

Note: I'm not a promoter of the site that I have shared above. However, I liked their services so thought to share.

Edit: link to own site deleted

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom