Hyperlocal Advertising for Local Businesses

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

djbaxter

Administrator
Why Hyperlocal Advertising Works So Well for Local Businesses
by Itai Elizur, SmallBizTrends.com
January 16, 2017

If we listen to conventional wisdom, businesses should be using TV, radio and online banner ads to attract new customers. But when it comes to local businesses, these channels simply aren’t as effective as turning to local marketing.

Many local businesses are finding that hyperlocal advertising — in any media channel that is primarily focused on the needs and issues of the people in that immediate vicinity or community — are more effective than traditional mass-market ads.

Community-based newspapers and magazines, metro blogs, online neighborhood community platforms, plus out-of-home advertising (OOH) like posters at bus stops and digital screens at the gas pump are all good examples of powerful hyperlocal channels.
Hyperlocal-Media.png

Ad-Recal.png
(c) Images Source Outsmart

Read more...

One of the things I think this article underscores is that not all business are the same and the best way to promote one business may not always be the best way to promote another.

As I and others have said before: Know your customers and go where they go if you want to reach them.

Jessica Danes

As a local business owner, this makes all the difference! Sure, I have advertisements online, but the customer draw I usually get comes from a recurring ad in the local newspaper. For me, this is also cheaper as I am not paying into running unneeded ads over the radio or local tv channels. I've never really looked into gas pump ads - does anyone have statistics on how much draw this advertising brings? I know when I'm at the gas station, I ignore the tv, so I cannot imagine this method being too successful.

Jrob

Newspapers, direct mail and text messaging (SMS) can be all winners for local business. The message is more important than the medium.

Edvin

MVP
Is it about Advertising or about Marketing?

As I'm gearing up for my business I'm thinking about my marketing strategy in education sector.
I have yet to execute; but, my plan is to host a low cost or free educational workshop (i.e. Chess, Lego STEM, etc) and try to market it using different mediums (i.e. door hangers, radio, banners, etc). The services of business entity is self-explanatory; so, there is no need for "buy-now" message. However, the parents that register their kids for the workshop will want to be notified (i.e. subscribe-in) about future similar workshop because there is limited seating available (first-come-first-serve) and the workshop is valuable in its-own right.
With little creativity, I believe I can measure the effectiveness and reach of every marketing campaign.
For example, staggering promotional events or making use of discount codes can identify campaign reach.
To further support my marketing campaign, I am considering to offer Lego STEM birthday-party on Sundays. The revenue from birthday-party is of no significance; but, I do get an opportunity to extend my business reach to other parents.

Admittedly, there is a need to do effective promotion ad campaign (i.e. holiday sale); but, in my early stages I'm more concerned about prospective customers to know about my existence and presence.

Jrob

Is it about Advertising or about Marketing?

As I'm gearing up for my business I'm thinking about my marketing strategy in education sector.
I have yet to execute; but, my plan is to host a low cost or free educational workshop (i.e. Chess, Lego STEM, etc) and try to market it using different mediums (i.e. door hangers, radio, banners, etc). The services of business entity is self-explanatory; so, there is no need for "buy-now" message. However, the parents that register their kids for the workshop will want to be notified (i.e. subscribe-in) about future similar workshop because there is limited seating available (first-come-first-serve) and the workshop is valuable in its-own right.
With little creativity, I believe I can measure the effectiveness and reach of every marketing campaign.
For example, staggering promotional events or making use of discount codes can identify campaign reach.
To further support my marketing campaign, I am considering to offer Lego STEM birthday-party on Sundays. The revenue from birthday-party is of no significance; but, I do get an opportunity to extend my business reach to other parents.

Admittedly, there is a need to do effective promotion ad campaign (i.e. holiday sale); but, in my early stages I'm more concerned about prospective customers to know about my existence and presence.
I think your plan is fantastic with the workshop to educate. Just collect the contact info, for the people who are in the information gathering stage and not ready to buy right now.

Lisa B

Newspapers, direct mail and text messaging (SMS) can be all winners for local business. The message is more important than the medium.
So customers respond well to SMS texting? I thought It might feel spammy even if only occasionally? No?

djbaxter

Administrator
I think it depends on both the company sending and the person receiving the messages.

I allowed my mobile provider to send me text ads for a while but they got annoying since they were usually nags to get the latest phone or upgrade my data package. I canceled those. I might have felt differently if they were things I actually wanted.

I still allow PetSmart to send me texts about specials (for my cat Mindy) but I may cancel those too.

They can get irritating in a hurry and the last thing any business should be doing is annoying current or potential customers.

Rila Studios

Facebook ads is now the best form of advertising for any business since its super targeted. You can target people based on their interests, their behavior, location and job. Its so targeted that you can select the perfect person you want and reach hundreds and thousands of them in a day for $5 or more it depends on the country. I think you should take advantage of this opportunity before it becomes expensive.

Latest posts